Oil consumption Big Time!

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to take some video so guys can see how much my truck smokes when its cold (looks like a train) Once it warms up, It only smokes a little....

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
your biggest issue is going to be finargling the right side valve cover out of the engine bay.. keep working at it.. it fits

Hardest part is getting the VC bottom back two bolts out.

A 1/4" drive ratchet thru the front wheel well worked for me.

The oil fill tube screws off also, that helps.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score

Do you know for sure you have injector O-ring problems??

Pull your turbo like I described in the 2nd post in this thread. You're smoking about like mine did when my turbo shaft seals went to crap. I can have my turbo off in 45 minutes. So you could have an answer or eliminate a possible cause in about an hour.

Taking the turbo off and checking for presence of oil in the up pipes or exhaust side of the turbo is A LOT QUICKER than pulling all your injectors for possibly no reason.

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
yeah. I see no indexing out off the exhaust. check the turbo first. when you hammer hard on load what does the smoke look like then???

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once the engine heats up (after 15mins) The steady white smoke goes away and smokes a little bit more than a normal PS. It still has the same power as always and smokes black at WOT. Can you guys hear the loping sound on the video? Sound like a gas car running rich to me, When that happens I notice heavy white smoke once again (usually at stop lights) Im thinking its a injector problem? or can bad o-rings cause that? Im new to diesel problems. Thanks for the help guys.....

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine smokes too

I have been having the same issues with mine. white smoke at start up that lasts for a few minutes then goes away. I could live with that but it now is smoking like that at stoplights and while going slow ( at idle behind school bus) I have the turbo off there is no oil in the baby but and I have done the CCV mod so that isn't a factor either. I am leaning to injectors.

rotorholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its injectors also

I have been having the same issues with mine. white smoke at start up that lasts for a few minutes then goes away. I could live with that but it now is smoking like that at stoplights and while going slow ( at idle behind school bus) I have the turbo off there is no oil in the baby but and I have done the CCV mod so that isn't a factor either. I am leaning to injectors.

I agree BUT what injector(s) is it? How can we check that?:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58