Oil consumption Big Time!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Depends on which o-ring, the oil either goes into the return fuel or into the combustion chamber.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JRJ04, in the head where the injectors go is brass sleeves, they were changed on mine. Mine started just all of a sudden one day, it ran like crap and checked the oil and all was gone. Hadn't changed anything but the IDM. Up until that point I could go 6k and never use more than a pint. But now all of a sudden it's every 135 miles a quart us consumed. No leaks, drips, or smoke while idling or running, even when I get on it good it doesn't smoke, like being over fueled. Only just after the first 10 minutes of driving to get her warmed up some there is black smoke for about 2 puffs, then it is real faint.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Sounds like a similar issue for sure. Does yours miss at all? Mine has a rough idle. Wondering if the oil is getting in and making it run bad on one injector.

Next question for everyone is if I pull the injectors out again, will it be obvious what o-ring has been rolled or will it roll back and look good? I had a ton of lube on these when they went in.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Sounds like a similar issue for sure. Does yours miss at all? Mine has a rough idle. Wondering if the oil is getting in and making it run bad on one injector.
possibly

Next question for everyone is if I pull the injectors out again, will it be obvious what o-ring has been rolled or will it roll back and look good? I had a ton of lube on these when they went in.

it should be.

you don't really need to slime them either..
a wipe of motor oil on them should be sufficient

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schreckman, mine runs like a top. It doesn't miss and still gets 18-19 mpg ever since day one of me owning it. It had 138k when I got it and now it has just turned 226k. Did yours start after the new injectors or did you just notice it since then. What made you change them to begin with? I want to do more to mine but I want the oil to stay in the motor not get burned out the tail pipe......

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Reason I changed them before was no power, missing, and was diagnosed as having 3 dead injectors. No power problem turned out to be plugged fuel screens in the tank. Compression is good and has no blowby, but it runs like an old Chevy Nova with coat hangers for spark plug wires.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the running problem *may be* unrelated to the oil consumption.

did you pull the intake or the turbo yet?

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
My family and I decided to go on Vacation for a week to Yellowstone. I am dropping the truck with a good Powerstroke guy I found and he is going to diagnose and repair. I will let you know what he finds.
I was going to pull it down yesterday but I got a tip a car I was looking for was going to be available this morning...I had to hit it. Been chasing it for 2 months.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my thought as well but I was told if an injector o-ring was bad the oil would show up in the fuel bowl. Is that not the only place?

this is only true on a regulated return system which was on the 94-97 trucks. the SD's have a dead head fuel system so the oil leaks into the fuel rail and is consumed there it has no way to get back to the fuel bowl.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58