Question Oil Consumption

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but consider there is an operating range for fuel pressure, and knowing that it runs means that there is enough fuel being fed to the motor.

i do not recall what the range is.

makes sense that the pressure drops at load.

are we still chasing excessive oil consumption?

you got a manual JR?

dp

Well it looks like I've got some work to do!

Yea, I would understand it dropping under load, but a 20 psi drop???

No longer chasing the oil consumption...that seems to have gone away with the new injectors. What I'm still chasing is the hiccup and unburt fuel/oily residue on the back bumper.

I've got a theory here...tell me if I'm crazy...

The vibration that I've been feeling at or above 2500 rpm's...could be the engine running out fuel and shaking?

A bit redundent but........Follow me here ?

1. The OEM fuel pump is about 100 psi capable. The FPR, stock, regulates the fuel pressure at about 45-60 psi.

On demand.. throttle response is OEM acceptable.

2. Raise the fuel pressure to 70 psi.

On demand.. throttle response is noticeably Better.

Givens.

In Jourdan's case.. In the FPR, the spring loaded piston (valve) that controls the fuel pressure.. the O ring seal is defective, allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off.. and return to the fuel tank. AND.. A filter in the supply system is plugged.. reducing the fuel pump's psi capability.

Results ? The Base Fuel pressure is even below.. OEM specs.

The engine will start, the truck is drivable, but On throttle Demands.. the response is irregular and has a "Hiccup".

The engine isn't running Out of fuel.. It's Starving, for fuel Quantity, and it's needed.. at least OEM, injector Pressures*.

(*not mentioned... what effect the Low fuel pressure is haveing on the Injector pressures ( bogus spray patterns= wet tailpipe ?)..)

Rebuild the FPR and R&R the filter(s).. I'd Betcha the issues Go Away.

Make any Sence, JR & DP ?

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Follow me here ?

1. The OEM fuel pump is about 100 psi capable. The FPR, stock, regulates the fuel pressure at about 45-60 psi.

On demand.. throttle response is OEM acceptable.

2. Raise the fuel pressure to 70 psi.

On demand.. throttle response is noticeably Better.

In Jourdan's case.. The FPR, spring loaded piston (valve) that controls the pressure.. an O ring seal is defective, allowing the fuel pressure to bleed off.. and return to the fuel tank. AND.. A filter in the supply system is plugged.. reducing the fuel pump's psi capability.

Results ? The Base Fuel pressure is below even OEM specs.

The engine will start, the truck is drivable, but On throttle Demands.. the response is irregular and has a "Hiccup"*.

(*not to mention what effect the Low fuel pressure is haveing on the Injector pressures (spray pattern & wet tailpipe ?)..)

Rebuild the FPR and R&R the filter(s).. I'd Betcha the issues Go Away.

Make any Sence, JR & DP ?

Joe

I'm with you 110% Joe! Can I leave work now and go home to work on it? :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you 110% Joe! Can I leave work now and go home to work on it? :D

NO.

The President is on TV right now.. YOU need to stay at work and help Him.. Help the Economy recover.

;)

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I thought I could trot on down to the dealership and buy the kit. They do indeed sell a kit, but it only has 3 o-rings. I'm almost positive that one of them is not the poppet seat that I need. I went ahead and ordered it from dieselorings.com for the same price...and got the sleeve as well.

Am I wrong here? I'm gonna run by the dealership tonight and see if the 3rd o-ring they mentioned on the phone is actually the poppet seat.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC.. the O ring in your Pic.. should be in a seat, on the machined end of the FPR body.. then the sleeve slides inside it, the machined end of the FPR Cap has a matching seat half, that holds it inplace when mated together.

Also IIRC, the kit has a diagram ?

On edit.. anyone have Pic ??

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
well...i should have just stuck with ordering it online...i went to the for dealership and the guy brings out and IPR rebuild kit. tried to tell me it regulates the fuel pressure...

I had to walk him through what I was talking about and he swore up and down there was no other fuel pressure regulation. Low and behold...he looks and voila!!! there it is! Too bad...they didnt have it and cant get it until tomorrow. I'm ordering from diesel o-rings.com That guy knows his stuff...

JRJ04

Reaction score
WELL..........

Got the new part, installed it. I coudnt believe how bad of shape my FPR was in. The o-ring on the part that the brass sleeve sits inside was completely flattened.

Anyways, got that replaced, cranked her up and I was sitting at 60 psi!:clap: Replaced the in line filter by the pump hoping to get a few more psi but didnt. So, I put my shims back in (actually had to add a 3rd) and was sitting at about 68psi. Took it out and drove it and can definately tell a SOTP difference. Much more jumpy off the line than i remember it being. When I got back, I popped the hood and the psi was down to about 62, but I dont know if that was the gauge being subjected to the heat of the motor or things were just out whack.

In any case, the hiccup is almost COMPLETELY GONE!!! Do i need to go back and add at 4th shim to try and get my fuel pressure up closer to 70psi?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELL..........

Got the new part, installed it. I coudnt believe how bad of shape my FPR was in. The o-ring on the part that the brass sleeve sits inside was completely flattened.

Anyways, got that replaced, cranked her up and I was sitting at 60 psi!:clap: Replaced the in line filter by the pump hoping to get a few more psi but didnt. So, I put my shims back in (actually had to add a 3rd) and was sitting at about 68psi. Took it out and drove it and can definately tell a SOTP difference. Much more jumpy off the line than i remember it being. When I got back, I popped the hood and the psi was down to about 62, but I dont know if that was the gauge being subjected to the heat of the motor or things were just out whack.

In any case, the hiccup is almost COMPLETELY GONE!!! Do i need to go back and add at 4th shim to try and get my fuel pressure up closer to 70psi?

;tu:clap:

I'd leave it alone, and drive it for a couple days JR.

You may have some air, here'n there from the O ring issues/problem, plus.. there could be some air from the filter change. Let the system Purge itself for awhile ?

On edit ? Did you get an new FPR spring ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58