Question Oil Consumption

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Okay, We could get into some High Science here but... try some 1/8" tubing.. from the port.. to the gauge.. before you decide anything.

You might be getting into some "Volumetric Compression" here.. by using 5/16Hose, vice, 1/8 Tubing.. to pressurise your gauge ?????

Joe

A SWAG on my part.. but I've seen it happen. (with gauges) (especially Flexible hose/tubing, verses Ridged)

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Okay, We could get into some High Science here but... try some 1/8" tubing.. from the port.. to the gauge.. before you decide anything.

You might be getting into some "Volumetric Compression" here.. by using 5/16Hose, vice, 1/8 Tubing.. to pressurise your gauge ?????

Joe

A SWAG on my part.. but I've seen it happen. (with gauges) (especially Flexible hose/tubing, verses Ridged)

yea i suppose i could try that. but before i go through the trouble of getting all the adaptors and such, should i just try shortening the hose? if not, I may have to look at getting an actual fuel gauge that is made to go in there.

I really dont wanna spend several hundred bucks on something i'm not permanently leaving in the cab. I'm kind of at the stage of (keep it running) and not (what else can i add?) :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i suppose i could try that. but before i go through the trouble of getting all the adaptors and such, should i just try shortening the hose? if not, I may have to look at getting an actual fuel gauge that is made to go in there.

**You could try a shorter hose.. but IMO.. you could still get a bogus/false reading.

I really dont wanna spend several hundred bucks on something i'm not permanently leaving in the cab. I'm kind of at the stage of (keep it running) and not (what else can i add?) :dunno

We're not talking Big Bucks, for a few 1/8" compression fittings & tubing here JR. Yer call though :dunno

I'm still think'n you need some verified psi's here?

JRJ04

Reaction score
We're not talking Big Bucks, for a few 1/8" compression fittings & tubing here JR. Yer call though :dunno

I'm still think'n you need some verified psi's here?

oh ok. i was thinking i would have to get a full blown setup. any suggestions on where to go get all this? the reason i got 5/16" line is cause thats what the gauge i bought fit into. when you say compression tubing, are you referring to the same kind of stuff that is used to run the boost gauge?

and Joe, I completely agree with you on getting some verified readings before I go throwin parts at her;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh ok. i was thinking i would have to get a full blown setup. any suggestions on where to go get all this? the reason i got 5/16" line is cause thats what the gauge i bought fit into.

** Well then, If that's what the gauge called for.. maybe yer okay, but it could still be the Length.. yer loosing pressure due to the length, and it's flexability ? Try a 4" piece to see what psi you get. May be a Duh.. but be sure you bleed all the air out ?

when you say compression tubing, are you referring to the same kind of stuff that is used to run the boost gauge?

If the pressure is still low.. Maybe the FPR spring is bound up ? or weak ?

JRJ04

Reaction score
If the pressure is still low.. Maybe the FPR spring is bound up ? or weak ?

you took the words outta my mouth. i gotta pull that thing apart next and see what i'm working with. of course...im sure if that spring is messed up, you cant just buy the spring...

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

look at the vendors. iirc, itp/sinister had bits and pieces. dieselsite might too. caps and spings and spacers. the oring guy might have some stuff too.

remember, the fuel system works by the fuel pump on 100% of the time, the fuel pushing through the heads and finally against the regulator at the END of the circuit. not by a series circuit, more like in parallel if that makes sense to you.

what did you use for a spring shim?

dp

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, you can get the spring & at IH too.. if you can't.. I'll bet they can tell you where to get one.

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
j:

look at the vendors. iirc, itp/sinister had bits and pieces. dieselsite might too. caps and spings and spacers. the oring guy might have some stuff too.

remember, the fuel system works by the fuel pump on 100% of the time, the fuel pushing through the heads and finally against the regulator at the END of the circuit. not by a series circuit, more like in parallel if that makes sense to you.

what did you use for a spring shim?

dp

yea i think i get what you're saying. I'll have to look into the itp/sinister...seems like there's someone out there that sells the whole gauge that mounts on top of the alternator.

I used a flat ss washer for the shim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14