Oil Filter Discussion

ifd

ifd
Reaction score
Well i've been trying to find out information on oil filters for the 6.0. I've always used fram, which is identical to the motorcraft.Never had a problem. But after reading lately i am wondering who makes the best oil filter for the 6.0. without using a $200 aftermarket kit or bi pass system. I would love to hear some opinions. Thanks. My third powerstroke and lovin it. (2004)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I use and sell Wix at work, and they're top drawer.

Wix also makes NAPA's Gold and Carquest's "8" -series filters

Carquest # is 84314
drop the 8 and you have the Napa #

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the napa golds (made by wix) ARE NOT spec filters, theyre using a
plastic liner in the center core, they are SHORTER than the OE filter
and they are absent of the FELT gasket on the bottom.

I stopped using 'em when i noticed delayed oil pressure on start ups.

i use the frams, theyre EXACT matches to the Motorcraft's.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
what about Purolator PureOne filters

Depends on the design. If it uses an adapter on the top instead of just snapping into the oil cap, walk away from it. If it has a plastic core, walk away. The right filter should offer only the pleats as the integrity of the filter. M/C or Fram are good filters. Luberfiner sells a filter which is all pleats, but is too soft and collapses. You shouldn't be able to grab a pleated filter and twist it, if you know what I mean. If it gives a little, it will get oil soaked and collapse in on itself, leaving you with little or no oil pressure. Also, you don't want anything on the bottom of the filter except a felt seal. The last Purolater's I looked at seemed to be the same as the Fram / MC. The older one's aren't worth dealing with. I can speak from experience on this, I had to replace a Purolater that wouldn't build pressure quickly on start up, and I bought Luberfiner's off ebay that left me stranded with little to no oil pressure on Christmas day. The filter was in 1 day. Luberfiner builds quality products, but their 6.0 filter sucks. Actually had to have my wife fish my used Fram out of the garbage [luckily wrapped in a clean Wally World bag] and bring it to me to change in a parking lot. Never again!

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
Be VERY careful about using the aftermarket oil filter. Remember that oil controls the injectors on a 6.0. If a filter fails to activate the valves in the filter housing that feed the HPOP than you could starve a pump or injectors. The oil filter is a big part of the fuel system. Make sure the filter is the correct height. Most aftermarket filters are shorter than a OE filter. If you have any doubts use OE. All it takes is a 1/16th" shorter filter to create a bypass or blockage. Is saving a couple of bucks really worth injector failure.

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running the new 1pc design from PureOne. it has a metal inner cage and all. NO probs so far. my next filter will be a Regular Purolator. Why? b/c it's the SAME thing now as the M/C or Fram. All 3 are buying Racor filters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58