Oil Filter Discussion

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
I'm currently running the new 1pc design from PureOne. it has a metal inner cage and all. NO probs so far. my next filter will be a Regular Purolator. Why? b/c it's the SAME thing now as the M/C or Fram. All 3 are buying Racor filters.

Are you sure? Look at the filter comparison video. Don't take a chance.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use and sell Wix at work, and they're top drawer.

Wix also makes NAPA's Gold and Carquest's "8" -series filters

Carquest # is 84314
drop the 8 and you have the Napa #

the wix & napa golds are NOT IMO w/in spec...theyre
designed differently (plastic tube in the middle, shorter
than the OE MotorCraft or Fram and they are missing
the felt gasket on the bottom).

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, this short video clip should remove all doubt about why you shouldn't use anything that isn't 100% OEM for oil or fuel filters in your 6.0:

YouTube - Motorcraft Powerstroke Diesel Filter Compairson

I just threw away the last of 6 Wix oil filters just the other day that I bought from Fleetfilter 2 years ago. I used two founding out they wouldn't work with my Oilguard bypass oil filter cap. I threw the last four away last week: $13 x 6 = total waste of money.

ETA: I see that this same video is part of the "This should Remove All Doubt" thread above. Oh well, IMO this video should be both a sticky and posted to EVERY oil filter thread discussion.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only problem w/ that video is that FORD made it...and positions it
such that SOME might think MOTORCRAFT is the ONLY filter that
meets OE Spec.

kinda like their egr cleaner...i mean cetane booster....how many
bottle of that do you think someone might be forced to buy before
the ACTUAL Problem is addressed !?!

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
The idea behind the booster is to prevent the build up. Its not designed to clean the EGR. Maybe you should read the information before making judgment.

While I am not a tech I do know quite a bit about the issues that plague the 6.0. Ford/Navistar have studied the failures. I have attended Ford classes on these failures.

Using higher cetane fue could prevent future issues after a thorough EGR cleaning. To do that properly the intake must be removed from the engine.

If you can find a fueling station that carries 45 cetane fuel than you won't need an additive.

Just because you are anti-OEM does not mean everyone is.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea behind the booster is to prevent the build up. Its not designed to clean the EGR. Maybe you should read the information before making judgment.

While I am not a tech I do know quite a bit about the issues that plague the 6.0. Ford/Navistar have studied the failures. I have attended Ford classes on these failures.

Using higher cetane fue could prevent future issues after a thorough EGR cleaning. To do that properly the intake must be removed from the engine.

If you can find a fueling station that carries 45 cetane fuel than you won't need an additive.

Just because you are anti-OEM does not mean everyone is.

i dont think youll find anyone here ANTI-OEM...but we ARE anti-gouging,
you dont own a 6.0 youre not a tech, you probably havent even worked on
one...

none of us here appreciate strong arm tactics by TOO MANY dealers
that would rather try to sell PRODUCT than admit to or ACTUALLY
REPAIR a broken truck.

c40 fuels have been around for EVER.

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
i dont think youll find anyone here ANTI-OEM...but we ARE anti-gouging,
you dont own a 6.0 youre not a tech, you probably havent even worked on
one...

none of us here appreciate strong arm tactics by TOO MANY dealers
that would rather try to sell PRODUCT than admit to or ACTUALLY
REPAIR a broken truck.

c40 fuels have been around for EVER.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I work for a dealer that FIXES trucks. We fix other dealers mistakes. I deal with fleets that own hundreds of 6.0s. I believe that I have the experience. Maybe I have not worked on them with my own two hands but I discuss these issues with quite a few (8) Ford Master Techs that are hands on. I have spent a lot of time in the shop watching and learning so I can share the repair and maintenance with my fleet customers.

All I am doing here is trying to help the 6.0 owner that may not be knowledgeable on their truck. I am not selling anything.

C40 is a problem. Diesel fuel was supposed to improve with ULSD. To my knowledge its no better or possibly worse. I would be careful how I used bio-diesel in the winter in a 6.0. In the summer its fine.

If you are not interested then change the channel.

Last edited:

TampaDieselFX4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to Advance, I pulled all 4 filters and lined them up side by side. I pulled PureOne, Purolator, Fram and Fomoco. Guess what. I could of swapped the Fomoco, purolator and frams... IDENTICAL HEIGHT, color, pleating, felt, everything. I could not find a difference. You can't tell the difference. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are all buying the filter from the same manufacture, and marketing/distributing it themselves. my 2 cents.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I went to Advance, I pulled all 4 filters and lined them up side by side. I pulled PureOne, Purolator, Fram and Fomoco. Guess what. I could of swapped the Fomoco, purolator and frams... IDENTICAL HEIGHT, color, pleating, felt, everything. I could not find a difference. You can't tell the difference. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are all buying the filter from the same manufacture, and marketing/distributing it themselves. my 2 cents.

no doubt...filters are like batteries...only a couple of manufactures
building for everyone <cutting corners here or there to save someone
a nickle or two in mfg cost>.

like you say...when you see 'em next to each other (like in the video)
you can EASILY spot the differences. the fact that anyone charges 30+
bucks for an oil filter (that isnt even encased in a "can" is insane).

even walmart sells the motorcrafts for 1/2 that !

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no doubt...filters are like batteries...only a couple of manufactures
building for everyone <cutting corners here or there to save someone
a nickle or two in mfg cost>.

like you say...when you see 'em next to each other (like in the video)
you can EASILY spot the differences. the fact that anyone charges 30+
bucks for an oil filter (that isnt even encased in a "can" is insane).

even walmart sells the motorcrafts for 1/2 that !

Personally, I think the key message in the video, at least to me, is what does a good filter look like and, more important, what a bad one looks like. If I had known what I know, especially from the video, I wouldn't have spent $13 x 6 on Wix filters Feb. '06. You can get MC-type filters (real ones) from multiple sources and suppliers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58