Oil for 6.0

Sanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Who makes Ford motorcraft oil? Dealer said Shell Rotella T 15w 40 is no good they say Ford motorcraft only. where can you get Ford motorcraft oil at a good price?

Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Sanger said:
Who makes Ford motorcraft oil? Dealer said Shell Rotella T 15w 40 is no good they say Ford motorcraft only. where can you get Ford motorcraft oil at a good price?

Ron

Conoco has the present contract to make Ford's oil. You should be able to find it almost amywhere. Pep Boys has it I think.

Dave

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Dealer said Shell Rotella T 15w 40 is no good they say Ford motorcraft only.
I would be interested to see if your dealer would put that in writing without using the words, "in our opinion" or something like that. All the major brands and most of the lesser brands meet the API standards and no one brand has anything over another that is significant to the engine.
Jim

Sanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dealer BS

Brought the truck in to the dealer for what I believe is a sensor problem. The truck is making a lot of boost and no power. It is spitting the boost back thru the intake filter. The dealer says it is not showing any codes. I have a code reader and it came up with a p2199 code. However it no longer shows in the computer. Before taking it to the dealer I unplugged the EBP sensor and the problem seemed to clear. I wanted them to replace the EBP sensor or the VGT control sensor. Big Negative!! If the truck is showing no codes they will not change the sensors. They will not even test drive the truck. All they say is it is the oil. Have to use Motorcraft oil and run Chevron fuel. When I picked up the truck it was still spitting the boost back so I turned around back to the dealers and they would not even take a ride to see the problem. They claim all the diesel trucks run this way. Quote "change the oil and bring it back"

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
All they say is it is the oil. Have to use Motorcraft oil and run Chevron fuel.
Wow, even going to tell you what brand of fuel to use. Time to get a new dealer. I've been told that some of the synthetic oils have solved some cold weather romp problems with the 6.0 but these people are pulling your chain. I wouldn't trust them to do the repairs even if they have someone smart enough to find the problem.
Jim

Is this a 6.0 or a 7.3?

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Shell Rotella synthetic since 5k miles. I now have just ove 19k on the truck. Dealer never asked what oil I'm running when it in for an EGR problem or the throttle sensor problem. Time to find a new dealer. All that is required for the oil is meet the specs in the owners manual. Keith

Sanger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am going to take it to a different dealer on Monday. Don't think I can handle any more B.S. form this dealer.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And do tell what dealer and city, state...
also notify Ford of their "expertise" !!!

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've run a number of different oils in my 6.0L and I've been the happiest with the Schaffers Supreme 7000 Semi-Synthetic. I had the cold engine romps with several of the typical brands from the local auto parts store. That went away with the Motorcraft 10W30 Diesel Oil, but I wasn't comfortable running that in the summer heat here in Arizona. I switched to the Schaffers 7000 and have run that ever since. I have not had the cold romps with the Schaffers and I know that the Schaffers is a quality product.

Check the Schaffers out at their WEBSITE. I use the #700 Supreme 7000 15w40.

Hope that helps.

NFA Fun

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sanger, I had the same problem with Ford. They kept blaming everything on the oil. When the FSE came out from CA, he said the same thing and offered to pay for my oil change to "fix" the problems. Well I played his game and they serviced my truck. Pick it up, drove off the lot, truck died, drove it back and it died in the service bay. Needless to say, the oil was not the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14