One less B-17

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a documentary on an old wwII plane that was locked up in ice in the antarctic or somethin? Might of been a P-38 or somethin? They had to drill through TONS of ice and melt the ice with warm water from hoses.

Those were in Greenland too. There have been quite a few aircraft lost in Greenland/Iceland, during and after WW-II.. trying to transit the Atlantic, Training flights, and so on.

IIRC, those P-38's (3 I think) were recovered.. and went somewhere in the SW, for restoration.. I'm thinking 1.. has since been re-certified as.. Air Worthy.

The only recoveries in Antarctica I know of were some of Admiral Bird's stuff, and a C-130. I was in on that one.. Quite a story there too. We were successful.. put a new Wing Spar, 4 new engines and [flew].. it back to Marietta, Ga.. for re-build.

drmjf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's to bad it went down. Thank God and the pilot no one was hurt. My buddy flew on that same plane when it was in Oakland/Hayward, CA

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a documentary on an old wwII plane that was locked up in ice in the antarctic or somethin? Might of been a P-38 or somethin? They had to drill through TONS of ice and melt the ice with warm water from hoses.
I think I remember that one. Wasn't the pilot still in it?

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarifications Big Joe
It has been some time since I watched it

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That plane was headed here. It was headed to the Mt Comfort Airport (Just renamed Indianapolis Regional Airport because of the upcoming 2012 Super Bowl). I believe I have been inside that plane, as I think they come here around this time every year. Was a beautiful bird!!! Sorry to see its demise. I live about 7 miles from that airport, which is the home the the Indianapolis Air Show..... I get to see may a beautiful bird fly over the house during the week leading up to that show, and the weekend of the show. We are right at the end of their loop, so we see them come in, and loop around right above the house, and head back to the airport. I am glad no one was killed in this incident. Hate to see a piece of history destroyed, but no loss of life is much more important.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I think I remember that one. Wasn't the pilot still in it?

I dont remember, was awhile back. Probably could do a google search on it. I dont think the pilot was in it still though. It was a good documentary. I love that kind of stuff. There was also a show about rescuing a crashed plane in a jungle. It was a rare plane. They had to dismantle it in the jungle and haul it down pretty much by foot with the villiagers helping. One villiger died from a snake bite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58