Out of the Powerstroke Business (a rant)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I changed the diff's & transfer case fluid today...
stuff in the rear was diarrhea brown and about that consistency..
stuff in the front was like friggin MUD...
t/c wasn't too bad, I changed that about two years & 30,000k ago

Last edited:

chris frye

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
did anyone come up with a reason for the bad fuel mileage? i have 2000 dually crew 2wd 3.73 gears auto trans hypertech on stage 2. 4" exahust, no cat or muffler cold air intake. got 8 mpg pulling a 38 foot goose neck 7k empty 8k loaded with bikes. just ran 5 tanks thru it going to mississippi for 7.8 to 10.3 miles per gallon. pulled hard on top compared to my 93 cummins, that gets 13 mph loaded with same trailer, psd runs great unloaded no smoke, hesitation fresh filters in gunna run a pressure check tomarrow

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
we settled on the "winter blend" fuel from this particular distributor.. which happens to be American Gas & Oil. I have no idea where they purchase from, and neither does anyone that works in the local station...

needless to say, the only thing I could do about that, was to start buying fuel somewhere else.

The only other retailer on this side of town other than Speedway (I don't trust their pumps, they haven't been certified since about 2000; and half a tank is 17 gallons there, 14 gallons across the street), is BP way the hell up in Cooper. So I started buying it from BP again. I say again, because last summer, they were "local" outlet for a bio- refiner that opened about 20 miles west of here... well, they lasted about ten months, long enough for the price of soybeans to about triple, then they went tits up... they only brew for the co-op customers now.

Then I had a dumbass attack and remembered I haven't changed my diff fluids, so I changed them, & the transfer case... well, since then, I haven't had a chance to fill it more than once, but it seems like there's less drag in the driveline...

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
start by checking your tire pressures..
and you were towing a trailer, right?

chris frye

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i checked all 10 tires before leaving. I was told today it could be a baro sensor making run lean on top? anyone know how to check it?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
auto trans hypertech on stage 2
that's another thing.. I've never trusted tuner's claims to get better fuel economy by making more horesepower..
there's only one way to get a diesel engine to make more HP, and that's put more fuel in it...
putting more fuel in it seems counterproductive as far as getting better fuel economy, which by definition is using LESS fuel...

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thats not entirely true.;)

well, than some one needs to explain it to me...
I'm a gas engine tech, and drag racer from years back, so I understand spark advance curves, combustion efficeincy, volumetric efficeincy, blah blah blah blah...

no one has been able to give me the theory without saying, "...it works because it does & you need to buy one..."

so call me skeptical, cynical, right wing conspiracy theorist, whatever...
there ain't no way you can make a diesel engine use less fuel by running more fuel through it..

not without a visit from the black helicopters and the overnight replacement of color coded stickers on the back of signs on the highway...
or the Illuminati controlling crude oil markets (those two were for Mike :watchout )

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58