Overdrive light flashing

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I towed a trailer for the first time in my truck yesterday. It is a 97 F-250 Heavy Duty XLT. 7.3 PowerStroke Turbo. 175,000 miles. Once it got a little dark out, I noticed my OD Off light flashing. It also started shifting real hard from 1st to 2nd. A little hard from 2nd to 3rd. And stiff from 3rd to 4th. Everything else seems fine. Truck still runs great. If I push the OD button, the OD will go off, but the light still flashes, and still shifts hard. I did a search, but didn't find anything.
Thanks for any help. Let me know if you need any more info.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get a code reader and pull the codes. Your tranny is mad about something, and unless you find out what that code is and get it fixed ASAP, you risk destroying your tranny.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
You need to get a code reader and pull the codes. Your tranny is mad about something, and unless you find out what that code is and get it fixed ASAP, you risk destroying your tranny.

And if the code reader doesn't work (I'm assuming you will borrow one from Autozone/Advance Auto/et al) ask if they have the Ford-specific module for it. When I was helping Rampy fix his truck last week, the code reader at Advance Auto wouldn't connect to his truck and apparently there is some Ford-specific doodad they have to have either connected to- or loaded on the scanner to read Ford codes.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys. I went to Advance Discount and they told me that their reader would not pull a code unless the check engine light was on. If Auto Zone will do it, will they be able to tell me what the code is? And, no, it's not low on fluid. I checked that right away. Thanks again. I will go to Auto Zone tomorrow, or maybe try to find a tranny shop.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The hard shifting is because it is in safe mode or whatever you want to call it. When the light is blinking the transmission goes into a mode that is suppose to save the transmission until you can get the problem fixed. Like the others have said get the codes read asap and get the problem fixed. I had a 93' that got the blinking light and it was a bad converter but the light will blink when there is a problem anywhere in the transmission.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got back from AZ and their reader would not give any codes. It said passed. I guess I will find a tranny shop tomorrow. Any more suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I can only suggest that you put in your location under your profile in user cp. You never know, there may be a member in your area that has a code reader or can direct you to one.:sweet

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I can only suggest that you put in your location under your profile in user cp. You never know, there may be a member in your area that has a code reader or can direct you to one.

Took your advice. It's done. Silver Springs, FL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14