Overdrive light flashing

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK... I just got off the phone with the stealership. They said they would do the torque converter for $405 for the labor. I can get the 2001 F-350 TQ converter for 299.18, also from the stealership. The one for my truck is 478.80. What are the chances that this is all that this is going to cost me? What other problems do y'all think they will find once they get in there? Thanks again.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To change the TC, they do not have to "get into" the tranny. They simply drop the tranny out of the truck, pull the TC out (its a slip fit), slip the new TC in, put the tranny back in the truck. Done.

Now, its the DETAILS they need to follow.

You MUST REPLACE the tranny cooler. You must also replace the stock IN-PAN filter. You should also ADD an external tranny filter such as a Magnafine. Install it on the OUTPUT of the tranny cooler.

Without those details, all the crap that may be floating in your tranny can just foul everything up again.

I would also look at doing a new valvebody, or at least the sonnax valves and tricumulator springs. This will increase line pressure and make the TC lockup better so it doesnt slip as much.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're semi competent with working on the truck you can have the trans in & out in a day the torque converter does require removing the whole transmission

I'm partial to the transgo tugger kit which takes care of the sonnax valve & tricum springs as well.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK.... I've changed a tranny in an Isuzu pick up. A LOT smaller, but I should be able to handle it. Is there anything specific I should know? I wont be able to do it until next weekend. How hard are the sonnax valve & tricumulator springs? Where is a good place to get all this stuff?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
blackclouddiesel.com for sonnax/tric $50 shipped. The have instructions on their site written by me, very easy install.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14