Overdrive light flashing

Bulrid8

Don't Fear the Reaper
Reaction score
If you were closer, I would scan it for you! You may have a TQ converter slipping, while towing. Go to a tranny shop, they can scan it for you.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know a guy that lives in Live Oak. Plays for a band at some bar there. At least he did about 6 months ago. I aint seen him in a while. Thanks for the help. I will get it to a tranny shop tomorrow.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cases like this that you can use the aamco or the like and their super cheap diagnostic charges to answer the question of what the problem is or for that matter any shop with a good scanner will be able to scan it. The ones @ AZ & the like tend to not like the psd and IIRC the trans codes are not part of the standard OBDII codes so you have to have mfg specific module to read them which the cheapie scanners don't cover.

Worst case take it to the stealer they'll charge you an hour labor to answer the question but they should be able to do it rather quickly while you wait.

The reason I've seen most guys get the code is t/c slippage especially when towing however if you're slipping your t/c @ 175k you might want to consider an entire rebuild if that's the case (assuming it hasn't been done before) as the other components are getting close to the end of their lifespan.

Jumping ahead and going with the presumption that you have a bad torque converter.... if you're tight on funds get a replacement for a 2001 F350 w/ the Auto trans... It will bolt right up and is a bit stronger than your stock one they usually run around 300 from the dealer or www.powerstrokeshop.com and will hold maxed out stock injectors.

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, when I started the truck for work this morning, the light was still flashing, still shifting hard. 10-15 miles down the road, I notice it was shifting better. Couldn't really see the light as I was heading due east. Once I got to a stop light, I cupped my hand over the end and it wasn't flashing. The tranny is shifting fine now. I would say better than before. Now, if I take it to a shop, they wont be able to tell me a thing. I towed the empty trailer home today and everything is still fine. I don't get it, but I hope it lasts.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks again for all the help!

Reaction score
KCB68 said:
Well, when I started the truck for work this morning, the light was still flashing, still shifting hard. 10-15 miles down the road, I notice it was shifting better. Couldn't really see the light as I was heading due east. Once I got to a stop light, I cupped my hand over the end and it wasn't flashing. The tranny is shifting fine now. I would say better than before. Now, if I take it to a shop, they wont be able to tell me a thing. I towed the empty trailer home today and everything is still fine. I don't get it, but I hope it lasts.
Any more suggestions?
Thanks again for all the help!

Well they don't fix themselves - I know that mine didn't once it started flashing. I'd say you need to make plans to have it worked on. Best guess is maybe a sticking solenoid.

Ron

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even tho the light is no longer flashing, there should still be some stored codes. You really really need to get them and find out what the tranny thinks is wrong.

Unfortunately, our transmissions, both the E4OD (your tranny) and the 4R100 (my tranny) have some serious issues and they cant take the abuse.

Yours has shown it has a problem, and unless you find it now, your going to find it later, on the side of the road while waiting for a tow truck.

Choice is yours. Fix it on YOUR time, of fix it with NO TIME!

KCB68

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Good point. I will have to wait til this weekend tho. I had a HOT job come up in Avon Park and have to go out of town. I will go to a tranny shop Saturday. I will post my results. Thanks again for the help.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Trans

Abuse is a understatement. By the time you realize the trans isn't right, the damage is done. We just did a home rebuild of our E4od. Some ugly parts inside. We changed most all the valves to Sonnex, they are bigger and flow more oil. The key valve we changed was in the front pump. Here again this increased flow and pressure to the converter clutchs. The converter is usually what starts the chain reaction failure. It runs directly through the front pump and down all the channels in the trans. They don't like to injest metal filings. Oh yah, I forgot to say that is next to imposible to clean the factory transcooler. Thats another $167.00. Put a inline fiter on the rear oil line to the cooler. This will stop most of the crap going out of the trans to the cooler. We doubled up the cooler size with another cooler. Sofar, so good.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kiarasue said:
Put a inline fiter on the rear oil line to the cooler. This will stop most of the crap going out of the trans to the cooler. We doubled up the cooler size with another cooler. Sofar, so good.

A filter is REQUIRED if you do a tranny rebuild. But the rear port on the tranny is the RETURN LINE from the cooler. However, you still install the filter on that line. Reason is, the old cooler may have crap in it, and you want to catch the garbage BEFORE it makes it back into your tranny pan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14