Passing up on Ford b/c of body removal???

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 7.3L now, and I'm considering a new truck. The fact that the new models require the body to be removed for many repair items has me scared off of the Ford diesel truck.

How did you guys talk yourself into this? I'm planning on keeping my truck past the 100k warranty again, so yeah - having a bill out of the gate at $1,500 for a repair is concerning to me.

I talked to a local truck shop and they are considering not working on the 6.4L Fords because of this. They say that customers that don't know it walking in think the shop is trying to screw them and it leaves a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

What are your thoughts?

BTW, Chevy has a good deal on leftover '09 Duramax trucks....

But I DO like the way the Ford looks. A LOT. I've really enjoyed my truck. Very reliable and a good truck.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You only need to lift the cab on Cylinder head removal or engine removal. No need to lift the cab for other items, in general.

Dave

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy was looking at a used '08. The dealer had the body off three times in an attempt to fix a fuel leak, and also the thread below about the guy with a Y pipe replacement where the dealer removed the body as well.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the 6.4's have the same problems the 6.0's have with heads popping. I like my truck it will out pull a Chevy with out any problems. If I was to change brands I drive a dodge before Chevy. Chevy's have never ever held up for me or my dad and it's not the motor it's the trans., axles breaking,or brakes dont hold, or front end parts going bad.

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You only need to lift the cab on Cylinder head removal or engine removal. No need to lift the cab for other items, in general.

Dave

there are many repairs 6.4 specific which require cab removal... i know the most common is for a fuel line.

if anything.... check into extended warranty coverage

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, I don't need a truck that bad. I think I'll just keep what I have. I'm having trouble justifying the expense for a truck that gets worse fuel mileage (on average reports) than what I have, is more complicated, and can potentially cost me an arm and a leg to repair.

Now if the trucks were getting MORE fuel efficient it'd be different.

My PSD is reliable and running strong now. I'll stay with what I have. Wanted to see if I was missing anything.

Someone mentioned bad front ends and brakes on Chevy's - right now I'm thinking the same thing on my Ford! I've gone through hubs, spindle bearings, tie rods, sway link joints, ball joints, two sets of rotors...and I don't tow that much anymore. I used to only tow around 7.5k lbs trailer! Anyway. I still think it's been a good truck.

Not sure a Chevy would be any worse, really.

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinkin' I'll wait to see what the 2011 truck brings. :D

They are really making a big deal out of designing the engine themselves, aren't they?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58