Passing up on Ford b/c of body removal???

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just learned that they also plan on offering front and rear locking differentials like the Jeep Rubicon for someone like me who drives out on the sand dunes that's a huge selling point. Also with the amount of money they lost on warranty repair work on the 6.0/6.4 both made by International who's to say that they can't design a better one. It's been in the works since 04 when the s*** hit the fan with the massive failure of those first couple years. I think I read in Diesel Power that they do have outside help also or at least took some design cues from some very good diesel engine manufacturers.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Yea a friend if mine is a Ford tech and he says 1 - 2 hours tops . I wouldn't be concerned but if you are buy Fords extended warranty , one body off repair and it would be money well spent and if you never use it ........ it was worth the piece of mind . I'm kicking around a 2010 F-450 still . I just don't know if I need one . My 7.3 only has 47 k .

hey that's a good point... :sweet
and I'll take that 7.3 off your hands..
we're showing two circuits this summer, and will NEED two S/D's...

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it listed for sale . Asking 24k . I may just keep it though . I keep getting told too much money but I haven't found one with equal miles any cheaper .

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes 2hrs to remove cab, 1 if u know what ur doing - Their billing sucks is all. I too strongly believe that without Cummins, Dodge would be out of business - Chevy couldn't built an auto tranny to hold up thats why they use an Allison or so they say, I think its just a rebadged 4L80.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
The question to ask at the dealer is how do they bill it? By book time or actual. Most bill book as do non-dealer mechanics. The last time, and I mean last, I took mine to a shop to have the clutch linkage fixed, they charged me $100. I later figured out how to do the same repair for $1.50 in parts and 10 minutes. I complained and they gave me the "we bill what the book says" crap. Even at actual time, I'm not interested in paying $200 before you can even begin to look for the issue and then whatever you plan to charge me to put it back on. Cab off means no current design in my ownership future. Has anyone heard whether the new one will be the same?

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the 2011 was designed specifically with maintenance in mind such that the cab would not have to be removed. The example they used was the turbo... on the 6.4, the cab has to be pulled to get to the turbos; on the 6.7, the cab does not have to be pulled.

dale7637

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If ford took design cues from some very good diesel designs they would'nt have built another v-8. As far as I am concerned a v-8 diesel is a boat anchor. Nothing has bottom end grunt and torque like an inline six. My 2 cents, but I do not like the v-8 design. I bought a diesel for low end torque, not high rpm horsepower and torque. I am honestly regretting owning a ford diesel. If Ford stuffed a cummins under the hood of their trucks we would be talking.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I-6 are built specifically for towing. The reason Ford and Chevy both use V-8 is because that design it has the power to tow and makes a better daily driver by providing power though all RPM ranges not just down low also the turbo spools quicker because of the extra cylinders. Stock for stock a Cummins will hang in the beginning of a race, but in the top end a PSD or D-Max will walk away. In my opinion a v-8 diesel just sounds more bad ass than the six, even my friends with Cummins will admit that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58