Passing up on Ford b/c of body removal???

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would wait at least a year, maybe two, before I got one. Let them get the bugs ironed out.

Dave

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Thinkin' I'll wait to see what the 2011 truck brings. :D

They are really making a big deal out of designing the engine themselves, aren't they?

Well without Cummins, Dodge, or "RAM", or whatever the hell there calling it this week, doesn't have a truck. Without Isuzu/Duramax, Chevy/GMC doesn't have a truck. And right now, without IHC Ford doesn't have a truck. I love my Fords. But...if this new engine isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread I can't help but think they will tarnish the brand to the point of no return. So far, no one has really been able to make it work without a parent engine company. This really had better be Fords "better idea".

JRJ04

Reaction score
I agree. However Ford still has a leg up on the others when it comes to the quality of the truck. Chevys and Dodges just fall apart and are not as well made.

banyon

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What am I missing? A teck at the dealer told me he could lift the cab in minutes. Is it the cost that people hate or not sure if it will be put back on right. I`m not in a ford right now but I`m still interested. On my older fords there was some repairs that would have been nice to take the cab off.

MURR3061

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford engineered the cab to come off. its a good design for the mechanics, as long as its under warranty. ford makes a good truck!

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech at the dealer told me the book charges 8 hrs for cab removal. Do the math.

If folks here aren't worried about it maybe I shouldn't be, either. But it just kinda seems like the new trucks have taken a couple of steps back from the previous models. Maybe I'm wrong and they pull a HELL of a lot better than mine will with a 4 spd tranny.

Nonetheless if I were going to buy a truck right now I'd really have to give Chevy a thought.

Last edited:

johnny9r

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
book charges 8 hours but most say they can do it in 1 - 2, need to find a shop that charges actual labor not book labor

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea a friend if mine is a Ford tech and he says 1 - 2 hours tops . I wouldn't be concerned but if you are buy Fords extended warranty , one body off repair and it would be money well spent and if you never use it ........ it was worth the piece of mind . I'm kicking around a 2010 F-450 still . I just don't know if I need one . My 7.3 only has 47 k .

08KINGRANCHF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had my cab removed for a replacement of the rear turbo inlet pipe (covered by warranty). I got it back 6-1/2" days later. I guess the speed of the repair is based on the skill of the tech. Hell, I think I could have pulled the cab in my driveway faster that that. I was pissed but in the end he did a good job so all is well again.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford actually has experience in designing diesel engines from long ago. On top of that, you never know who they have brought in to help them design the engine. At this point I am not scared of the new engine, but I will not be buying a new truck in the near future, either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr