Pick your chips wisely

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Those in teh market to get a new chip look closely and shop before you buy. The way teh current chip structure is set up who ever you buy your chip from that is who's programming you will be stuck with, other programmers or companies will not be able to reburn that chip. So if you get a TS chip persay then you can not have DP-tuner reburn and like wise, TS will not reburn a DP-Tuner chip, Same goes for all the 6 position chips, Dieselsite, TS, Bullydog, DI, DP-tuner.

SO if you see a real cheap chip for sale just think about it before ya buy and if it will have the burns you want. Most of the cheap chips on the market right now are TS chips, I dont believe Dennis or TS does any custom 7.3 burns anymore so if you plan to get custom burns you will have to repurchase another chip from from someone who does custom stuff such as David Lott or DP-Tuner.

This is not to in anyway degrade other companies that sell chips but only a warning to customers, many are buying the cheap chips off ebay and then turning around and wanting it reburnt by Jody or me or Lott and we cant do it, you will have to sell that one and repurchase one from the vendor that has the burns you want. It sucks for the customers but its just the way it is now. :sorry

Bean

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, its a VERY small community of chip makers. Many of them are rebadged too. Only 4 or 5 burners out there, but a number of sellers that relabel someone elses chip. Im not saying thats bad, just something Ive noticed.

Now, what would be cool (and will never happen) is if all the chip makers picked a standard, and then just offered their own burns!

I dont believe the chip itself is all that different, just the program loaded inside right?

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That may be the "technical" feature that prevents it, but the bigger deterrant is the fact that TS makes all of the 6 position chips and if anyone is caught violating the policy they chance violating whatever agreements thay have with TS.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I got my chip from Bill a few years ago. He is no longer in the business so who can re-burn it? What chips can a guy buy now that anyone can re-burn?

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm, you can get your chip reburnt at any DP-Tuner or Diesel Power dealer, me included.

Yes all the 6 pos chips come from the same place but the different vendors cant reburn a competitors chip, not only is it against the "chip rules" but all the new burners are and software and chips are being made to where its not possible to do it anyway.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
bdp said:
It sucks for the customers but its just the way it is now. :sorry

Bean
Just curious but why is it like this now? If a guy buys a chip he should be able to do what he wants to with it. :dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Just curious but why is it like this now? If a guy buys a chip he should be able to do what he wants to with it. :dunno

You buy the physical part, but you dont own the code/information contained inside. Thats copyrighted.

Its like buying a DVD movie. You OWN the disk, but you cant "do whatever you want" with the content. Like make copies and sell them, or charge admission to watch it at a large hall. etc etc.

Now, there is prolly special code that allows the 6-position to work. Without that special code, you cant load the different settings you want. Meaning you cant load different chip makers programs onto a 6-pos chip, giving you multiple brands on one chip.

If we had a good hardware/software hacker like the desktop community has, this would be a non issue, as there would be a linux kernel and some decryption software and everything would be available as "free" (free as in beer) software upgrades :D :D :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg