Pick your chips wisely

bdp

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
Just curious but why is it like this now? If a guy buys a chip he should be able to do what he wants to with it. :dunno

Because dealers want you to buy a chip from them, more chips sold means more money made all the way down the line. I dont perticularly like it but I am just a little guy. One thing I do like about it is many guys are getting really cheap chips off ebay from people that dont have any overhead and doesnt matter if they only make 20.00 on a chip then send it to the custom burn guys for a reburn. Yes we do make the money on the reburn but we lose the money on the chip. Its all about the benjimans in the end really, like I said, sucks for the customer.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Sort of sounds like the chip guys are trying to protect thier interests, as said, it sucks for the consumer but is understandable. I hope its not being done simply to keep these chips at a higher cost level to the consumer.........

btw Bean, after all this wedding business is over I'm gonna need a chip to make these jectors squirt more go juice.

LCPThrill

PowerStroker
Reaction score
Have ya'll seen the do-it-yourself burning kits? I know TS sells them, where you can reburn your own chip with your computer.

Any thoughts on that. And does anyone know if you can reburn multi position chips with it? I have been looking at that for custom burns.

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
LCPThrill said:
Have ya'll seen the do-it-yourself burning kits? I know TS sells them, where you can reburn your own chip with your computer.

Any thoughts on that. And does anyone know if you can reburn multi position chips with it? I have been looking at that for custom burns.

-popcorn

Glassdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an SCT custom Tuner that I can download the software for but I think I'll leave that to the people that know what they're doing. :oops:

Car_nut57

Reaction score
If the chip is a Banks Big Hoss, we can reburn it to any power level and any catch code, so the chip keeps its value and Banks has been around a long time and should be around in the future.

Strictly Diesel

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Because dealers want you to buy a chip from them, more chips sold means more money made all the way down the line. I dont perticularly like it but I am just a little guy. One thing I do like about it is many guys are getting really cheap chips off ebay from people that dont have any overhead and doesnt matter if they only make 20.00 on a chip then send it to the custom burn guys for a reburn. Yes we do make the money on the reburn but we lose the money on the chip. Its all about the benjimans in the end really, like I said, sucks for the customer.
This is partially true, but there is another problem that is being addressed as well. I believe that the latest 6-position chips and burners will be configured so that different dealers can't read the programs from competitors chips. This will prevent theft of programming (intellectual property) by competitors and leave individual companies 100% responsible for their own programming. Since the dealers burner will only be capable of working with chips that were formatted for that dealer, they won't be able to read/erase/format chips from other dealers...hence no more "reburns".

As much as people hate having to purchase something twice, if you want to switch programming, you have to switch hardware. You wouldn't ship a SuperChips Micro Tuner to DiabloSport and ask them to update the programming for a fee...would you?

Dennis Schroeder
Owner - ITPDiesel

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
Dang I am glad I am not in this end of the business. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just a consumer too in that respect...

but I think it is only fair that the chip maker be able to be paid for their development and labor... EACH time...

someone mentioned diablo...

How much support would u get from Diablo if I bought their programmer and was able to program every truck I ran across ?

They'd be out of business in about a month if they only sold ONE of everything :)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I still feel that when you buy a chip you are buying hardware. The programming on the chip is software. If you want to erase one company's software off of your own hardware(that you paid for)and put someone else's software on it then you should be able to. Just the way I think :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14