PIE for XM

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ACKK no PIC!

I installed XM in my jeep was fairly easy, I tied the AUX power from the PIE into my CIG lighter, where did you ti yours into ?

IE with dash off stripped the CIG lighter power wires and ties it into the wires there instead of pluggin ginto the dash.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks CHP!

I see you didnt tie it into anything? Just ran the Cig lighter power adapter around?

If you want a claner look you can do 1 of two things.

1. buy the direct connect package ( best buy 30$ ) and it has a second power adapter you can connect through a second power source

2. Take that Cig lighter power adapter and cut of the plug in that goes into the lighter, strip some of the wire and then tie It directly into your lighter, by stripping some of its wire..

I did option 1 and tied it into the lighter so you see no wires at all. in my Jeep that is.

I hear there is a way to direct conenct the wire intot he radio for Power but havent found that yet.

Did you drill any holes? From what I can tell it seems you used the Swivel moutn instead of the flush mount?

Just curious why? Myfi is soo heavy with the swivel mount and some bouncing and it will lean down.

I think my name shoudl be changed to sponge, I ask to many questions HAHAH!

Last edited:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
CHP, why do my pics keep disappearing??? This thread and the other one.

Scar,
Doesn't the XM need 5 volts or something? I want to direct wire but I believe the voltage would need to be stepped down.

Back to my original question. Is the sound quality of the PIE good enough the justify the expense? The FM modulator has pretty good sound so far. Any opinions??

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire,

Thats why Itied mine into the CIG lighter behind the dash by stripping some of the wire going into the CIG that way it got what it was goign to anyway. It worked very well for me.

I have XM in my boat too, and its only Modulated, but at higher volume you can hear some static roll in and out..

In my jeep direct connect, at the highest volume.. NO static. Now I know some will say boat vs jeep, So I use my current MYFI modulated and its got some high volume static..

Ill let you know if there is a diffrence as soon as I install mine Direct connect in the Truck.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fire1 said:
CHP, why do my pics keep disappearing??? This thread and the other one.
Webshots doesn't premit hot linking to the photos but it's okat to put up the URL to the pics.

Must easier to upload em as attachments when you're posting a reply :sweet

For the 5 volts we could Jerry it off the cig plug behind the dash either onto the stereo power(which I did)or the cig outlet which Scar mentioned:sweet

I'll order the PIE for my truck and install it at your place or Bryans so you can hear the difference but I'll be upgrading the speakers at the same time if you wanna do that before you order.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHP,

Did you have to turn off your Mifi to listen to your stock radio?

I get bad static in this install compared to my roady which I could still have on and listen to the radio, but it was after market headunit.

I have to actually turn off the Myfi to listen to the regular radio, and the radio it self sounds very weak till I turn it off and the output of the myfi isnt as strong as the cheap old Roady now?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Scar13 said:
CHP,

Did you have to turn off your Mifi to listen to your stock radio?

I get bad static in this install compared to my roady which I could still have on and listen to the radio, but it was after market headunit.

I have to actually turn off the Myfi to listen to the regular radio, and the radio it self sounds very weak till I turn it off and the output of the myfi isnt as strong as the cheap old Roady now?
We actually have a Roady 1 feeding to the stock stereo via external modulator which has to be turned off in order to pickup the local stations.

Did you turn up the audio output on your Mifi feeding the stereo as I found the Roady at it's highest output setting to sound the best audio quality wise,give that a wing.

When the audio comes in thru the Auxiliary Input you can switch between XM and local stations with no interference from the aux input.

I have a Sony deck with a direct line in ready to go into the X but still need the install kit for it.

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
We actually have a Roady 1 feeding to the stock stereo via external modulator which has to be turned off in order to pickup the local stations.

Did you turn up the audio output on your Mifi feeding the stereo as I found the Roady at it's highest output setting to sound the best audio quality wise,give that a wing.

When the audio comes in thru the Auxiliary Input you can switch between XM and local stations with no interference from the aux input.

I have a Sony deck with a direct line in ready to go into the X but still need the install kit for it.

Yeah so far Im likling my roady 1 much better then this Myfi!

Yep got the signial maxxed out

I just dont understand I got eh direct line and it goes radio antenna to Direct line to XM line to radio line grrrr

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I looked at the Delphi direct wire to ant. input at Circut City tonight. The price is right, $30. But I would prefer to bypass the FM tuner all together and go true Aux input. I need to pull my head unit out again to look to see what inputs are on the rear. I can't find my little removal tools currently after rearranging the Garage. Tonight I had a high pitched whine in the audio from XM and got louder if I touched the MyFi w/ my hand. :dunno I moved the XM ant for the right side of the roof front, the center front. Not sure that had squat to do with it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64