PLEASE tell me I did NOT cause this!

trisha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here I am again, I had it in the shop AGAIN, was supposed to be fixed, what he did, I really cannot remember, but It died again, took to shop, said he had to get on the phone with ford, said need to be re-done something with the cps deal. I picked it up, drove it a few places, started every time, got to tractor supply, WOULD NOT START. I just left it there, called them this morning, printed out all of your tips, faxed it to them, TOLD THEM to show this to the ding bat mechanic. If he does not fix it this time, to tell me WHERE there is a decent diesel mechanic where I can take it. trisha,

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trisha,

I had simular problems w/ my 2000 PSD. I had the CPS changed out (FORD recall). My HPOP (high pressure oil pump) checked out O.K.

The problem I encountered was crud on the in tank fuel pickup filter - it was almost totally blocked allowing diesel fuel starvation to the engine. I could start the engine, drive 5 - 10 miles, then the truck would loose power and die out.

After waiting 10 mins beside the road, I cycled the inition key on and off numerous times. This runs the electric fuel pump w/o starting the engine.

Then I cranked the engine, and IT STARTED. I could drive another 5 - 10 miles and the problem would start all over again.

After getting the intank fuel filter screens cleaned at the dealer, the problem was resolved.

Keep us informed and let us know how you make out.

Butch Cassidy

trisha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is one of the problems. It will start almost every time. and then sometimes, it dies driving down the road. This last time, would not start when hot. I don't where else to turn. It is still in the shop. I have printed out everything stated to me here and gave it to the mechanic. I appreciate all the tips. i will keep you all informed. Thanks, Trisha

trisha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to fill you in on what is going on with my truck: It is STILL at the ford dealer. They cannot get it to act up. They tell me they have been on the phone with ford and have checked several different things. This is where we are today. I don't have a clue and neither do they, I don't think. I am going to ask them where I should take it to have fixed since they cannot. trisha

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
They cannot get it to act up.

not trying to defend the dealer, but that is the story of my life. i believe my customers (welll.....most of them!) but i cant fix it if its not broke! almost always with an intermittent problem, the customer will drop it off, and after 2 weeks and 500 miles of random road testing and other BS... the truck is running perfect and i have no clue what they are complaining about.

it sucks not having the truck, but bouncing from shop to shop is only going to cost you more in the end, and every time you bring it to a new shop they are going to start back at step one and you wont be getting any deeper with the diagnostics.

if you must take the truck, and your wallet can take a hit..........it may be worth having them change out a part, whatever they might think could be the culprit. maybe change out some of the cheaper parts if you dont want to go for a big money repair on a whim. sometimes throwing parts at it will get it on the road and running quicker than waiting for it to screw up in the shop. its not the "kosher" way to repair things, but in light of keeping customers happy and on the road i have often had to break down and throw parts at a vehicle. what costs more 10 hours of labor and no results, or a $200 part and 1 hour labor with the slight chance that its now fixed? if they have narrowed down the possibilities it might not be a bad route to take.

trisha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we picked up the truck today. I don't know exactly what they did, I did not get charged for it anyway. I know they did the "wiggle" test, and tightened up a lot of things, checked out all the wiring, etc.So we will see. Be a long time before I trust it though. Thanks so much for all your help and I will keep you all posted, Trisha

trisha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am giving up, The truck did not start after I had started it, gone to the farm and come back home. I got in it about 1/2 hour later to go get an inspection sticker, NO START. Today, I started it COLD, went to get an inspection sticker, on the way home, only 3 miles from home, hit a small bump in the road, the whole TRUCK started shaking so much I thought I was gonna run off the road. Turned down our gravel road, don't know if it was still doing the shaking, because I was going slow. Thought I had a flat, pulled into garage, no flat. I don't know where to go anymore. The last three times it was at the ford dealer, when they said they checked everything that could be checked, I was NOT charged, not even for the wrecker. If we start over somewhere else, this is probably going to cost an arm and a leg. Buying another one at this point is moot, as I wanted to keep the 7.3 L. It only has 80,000 miles on it, but I cannot have a vehicle I cannot drive or trust. So this is where I sit. Thanks for all the tips. :dunno:rant:confused:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
They cannot get it to act up.

That's so common it makes me sick. Happens to me with my mechanic too. Why does Murphy's law work against us when we need it most? :D Don't give up on your 7.3L. Have it towed back to Ford. I know full well the feeling one gets when confidence in your truck is at an all time low. Then, one day at a time it gets built up again once they find and fix the problem. Hang in there! ;tu

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Wonder why it wouldn't be setting codes on the computer.

FWIW............I had an F150 once that acted up intermittently. After many attempts to find the problem the service manager gave me a recording devise that plugged into the OBDII port. Every time I noticed a problem I was to push a button to mark the point in the recording.

I have no idea if this would help diagnosing your problem.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58