Possible HPOP issue

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other day out of the blue the truck started taking an excessive amount of time to crank and fire. Once it was warm it would crank and fire right up. From all the research of done it looks like the o-rings on the hpop are shot. So that being the case is there anything else I should do while I'm in there changing those and removing the egr?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This could be a FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) going bad. Mine took a long time to fire in the morning. Changed it and all is good.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FICM is basically brand new. What about old batteries? I ask because I still have the originals and have been meaning to replace them. I'm still going to do the egr delete and the hpop line orings so also is there anything else I should do while I'm in there?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You still have the original batteries in a 2005 truck? Do you ever drive it? I am asking because I never have gotten more than three years on any truck battery, much less six years. I have had a few diesel trucks.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only gets driven once maybe twice a week and most of the time it either has our gooseneck horse trailer or the 5th wheel toyhauler. The batteries were low enough on charge that the last time I ran the truck I had to drive it around for a decent amount of time before the driver seat would move forward. Up until that point I had never had any problem with the batteries.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You need new batteries if the seats didn't act normal after a drive. They go very fast, like one day they are good and not the next. You are in the next day.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need new batteries if the seats didn't act normal after a drive. They go very fast, like one day they are good and not the next. You are in the next day.

Dave

They acted normal after the drive just not when I went to adjust it when I got in. I knew the batteries were going just never had an issue with crank times and the starter wasn't turning slow. I guess I've got to stop being lazy and cheap and replace my batteries. Any suggestions on good ones?:coffee

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an Interstate Battery center, or a truck... check with them, they sell blems at a fraction of the cost of the "perfect" ones.....

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

It only gets driven once maybe twice a week and most of the time it either has our gooseneck horse trailer or the 5th wheel toyhauler. The batteries were low enough on charge that the last time I ran the truck I had to drive it around for a decent amount of time before the driver seat would move forward. Up until that point I had never had any problem with the batteries.

They acted normal after the drive just not when I went to adjust it when I got in. I knew the batteries were going just never had an issue with crank times and the starter wasn't turning slow. I guess I've got to stop being lazy and cheap and replace my batteries. Any suggestions on good ones?:coffee

Most everyone on here likes Motocraft. I have a pair of Sears AGM's that have served me well. :dunno

After a pair of fresh batteries get installed..might check the Alternator output too ?

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That or Motorcraft, like came with the truck. Either are good batteries. Sears Die Hard are another good choice.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58