PowerStroke turns over wont start

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:dunno I hear everyone talking about a GPR is that a Glow Plug Relay, just curious because ive been having problems with my 2001 7.3 starting in the morning, starting a few weeks ago it would start but would idle rough then die, then id start it again and it would be fine, But now as of tuesday I went to start it, it fired but then died and now it doesnt start at all, I put fresh fuel in it, checked the batteries, the factory battery has a dead cell so put a new battery in from my buddys cummins, and the other interstate is ok, turns over strong, but still no start, i also checked the fuel filter and its full of fuel ???? i was thinking it is a glow plug problem i dont know my first diesel. :cussing:

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be a CPS sensor look under that thread for more details. These are known for going out in the worst times.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks

What is the CPS Sensor?? also i keep trying to post a pic of my truck like you have but it keeps telling me cant load avatar any ideas ??

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try plugging the truck in for 3 hours then starting it. Does the truck smoke at all when you're cranking it over?

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well its been plug in for 5 hours and when i crank it no smoke at all, also i just noticed theres a little motor on the passenger side of the engine compartment that is running, looks like there should be a hose plugged into it but theres not one found

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
While it may indeed be your glow plugs or gpr try this first.

Get the jumper cables out and let it charge off your buddies truck for 10-15 minutes. If one of your batteries was dead it probably pulled the other battery down with it..........the batteries should be replaced in pairs. (Don't trust the sight glass colors)

If your batteries are not fully charged your truck will sound like it is turning over just fine but the pcm is not getting full voltage and thus............no starty.

If it doesn't start after doing the above test the gpr to see if it is operating correctly. If so, it might be the glow plugs.

The noise you are hearing from the engine compartment is your vacuum pump doing its job........its not a problem.

Tbar

Last edited:

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok Thanks Ive been looking at the factory MotorCraft Batteries or the Red Top Optima Batteries any suggestions, also my truck has 147,000 miles on it anything else i might need to be looking out for as far as future problems:thumbs

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
POWERSTROKE N said:
Ok Thanks Ive been looking at the factory MotorCraft Batteries or the Red Top Optima Batteries any suggestions, also my truck has 147,000 miles on it anything else i might need to be looking out for as far as future problems:thumbs

Most common problem is the CPS.............go buy one and put it in the glove box. It is an easy 15 minute DIY fix and beats having it towed and having the dealer do it two days later.

I was impressed with the factory Motor Crafts but lots of people have been using the Optimas. I am on my second set of Duralast batteries and they are just ok.......got 3yrs out of the last set.

Tbar

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome to SDD POWERSTROKE N! Great to have you with the gang:thumbs

From the sounds of it I'll have to agree with that it has the symptoms of the CPS :rolleyes:

Here's a THREAD on the infamous CPS that may provide additional info:sweet

-Bill :cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58