PowerStroke turns over wont start

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would also lean toward the CPS. If it starts and then dies it is probably not the glow plugs. Once the engine fires there is enough heat in the chamber to keep it running without glow plugs. They continue to heat for better combustion but it would not start then die with bad plugs.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Welcome to SDD POWERSTROKE N! Great to have you with the gang:thumbs

From the sounds of it I'll have to agree with that it has the symptoms of the CPS :rolleyes:

Here's a THREAD on the infamous CPS that may provide additional info:sweet

-Bill :cowboy:

Thanks guys for the info, well i went out and tried starting the truck like the CPS post said to do, looking for the RPM needle to bounce, well it bounces..so i guess the CPS is OK?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You said you have no smoke when you crank. Check your maxi-fuses under hood. The fuel heater locatd inside the fuel filter cannister may have shorted out. This will take out the 30 amp maxi fuse (slot #22 I believe) which powers the injctor drive module. No IDM means no fuel. So, check that 30 amp fuse (underhood fuse box) and if its blown, unplug the fuel heater and replace fuse.

There is also a 30 amp fuse under dash. Check that one out as well.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

well ive looked at every fuse under the dash, and in the engine compartment and all of them are good to go, not sure about the relays though, I think the first thing im going to try is the Cam Positioning Sensor, I've hear about that going out around 150,000 ever since i purchased the truck, im also going to replace the batteries.

Also do you all think it would hurt to go ahead a replace all the glow plugs also, and is it a hard thing to do??

dougger222

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Isn't the CPS bad when the RPM gauge bounces while starting?

I recently had a no start issue which was found to be a shorted fuel heater element. The 30 amp fuse under dash is fuse #30 I think and kept blowing until I unplugged the heater connector and now it starts like normal. Bought the parts for $272 and need to put them in.

My wifes cousin is a 30 year diesel mechanic who works on a fleet of Isuzu's and Internationals said he's never replaced a glow plug on a 99+ Powerstroke but has done hundreds on the 6.9's and early 7.3's. He also told me his company stopped buying 5.9 Cummins a few years ago due to costly and commonly replacing the injector pumps.

A year ago I was getting a glow plug #8 code on the Excursion and had a friend swap out all glow plugs which took him 2-3 hours (first timer) and payed him $75 and paid about that for the glow plugs. After replacement same code so the glow plugs were never bad! This was done at 145K miles. My truck has 209K miles with original glow plugs.

The batteries are a good thing to replace as well as the CPS. From 104K-154K miles on the Excursion it's had two CPS's one at 114K and the other at 124K. The F250 had a shorted wire near the valve cover at 185K miles at which time four things were replaced one being the CPS which I think wasn't bad. The diesel shop found the problem on the second trip, total cost $600, first time doing anything to the engine area.

On another thread here I mentioned recently replacing a 10 month old Napa battery which was replaced for free, now starting to save my pennies for two gell cell type batteries.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy turn on the ignition while you are under the truck listening for a fuel pump whine. Also, does the tach bouce when you are cranking the engine over?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
So needle bounces, fuses are good and there is no smoke. Anyone you know have a code reader so you could check for codes? The picture under your name looks like your truck is not stock. Do you by any chance have a chip? If so you might try removing it and seeing what that does. Sometimes bad contacts on a chip can cause major troubles, including no start.

If you fill out the signature line under your posts with your trucks specifics it might help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14