PowerStroke turns over wont start

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well i turned the key, and put my head by the gas tank and could hear the fuel pump, so i guess the relay is ok, now about that chip, is it ok to just take it out, and no put nothing else in its place, does the truck just go back to default settings on the computer

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Let us know how the chip removal goes for you, I am still troubled with the lack of smoke while cranking. Me thinkst you are having IDM issues. You didnt wash under the hood recently or drive in REALLY deep water did you?

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No deep water, or spray with the hose, just went out in the morning and tried to start it, it turned over and ran for about 3 seconds, then stopped never to re start, what is IDM

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
IDM = Injector Drive Module. Its the unit that supplies voltage (120V~140V DC :eek:) to open the solenoids on your injectors. Getting it wet can short it out. Its a fairly delicate circuit board that doesnt like moisture. If it dies your injectors wont inject. Thus, no smoke when you crank the engine.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea I hope its not a IDM problem either, called a ford dealer and its $699 part, there very proud of it i guess.. but i went to the local autozone where they know nothing and rented a OBD2 scanner and ran that, and nothing came up, then I called Diesel Injection and they told me those scanners are not good enough nor detailed enough to do it properly, they said i needed a Genie2 or something like that, soooo, what I have done is replace the two batteries " mismatched, and old non motorcraft " and replaced them with two new Bosche batteries with 875 Cold cranking amps, and 1,000 cranking amps, it turns over great now, but still no fire, and no smoke at the exhaust, tommorrow i am going to pull the chip, see how that goes.

Also there is some sort of pump that keeps running on the right side of the engine compartment, bolted to the side of the fender, there are a few hoses or lines going to it with one end with not hose/line to it, when i put my finger on it the motor/pump changes sounds, like its pulling a load, i cant tell if its blowing or sucking though??? any ideas

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Also there is some sort of pump that keeps running on the right side of the engine compartment, bolted to the side of the fender, there are a few hoses or lines going to it with one end with not hose/line to it, when i put my finger on it the motor/pump changes sounds, like its pulling a load, i cant tell if its blowing or sucking though??? any ideas

That would be your vaccum pump.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1. Should the Vacum pump run all the time?? 2. Also I want to disconnect the fuel heater, just to try and start it then and see what happens, is there a connector out side the fuel filter canister or is it inside?>>> 3. I went to Diablo Sport and looked at there chips, and the only thing they have for the 2001 7.3 is a handhelp programmer not a chip, if they done that with a programmer, how do i go back to defaults then just get another scanner and reset the computer somehow

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
1.The vacuum pump will run a quite a bit. 2.There is a connector outside the fuel canister. I forget just which one it is but I think it is the second to the bottom one, there is also a connector for the water-in-fuel light. Hopefully someone else will chime in on just which plug it is since I can't remember. 3. Was the chip in it when you bought it? If it was reprogrammed with a programmer you should have got the programmer with the truck. To return to stock when a truck was programmed you need the programmer that they used. If it is a programmer rather than a chip I doubt that is your problem. the problems arise on the chips with the contacts but there is no contacts to worry about with a programmer.

POWERSTROKE N

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I figured it out..lol

:roflmao
Well Guys I figured what the problem was, but heres the story.. I called some buddies of mine at Fargo Trucks here in Kentucky, and paid $150 to have my truck hauled to there shop, 1 hour later I got a call staying, hey we fixed your rig... I was like Great, what's the problem CPS, Injector pump relay, HPOP, what, let me know I can take it......." He replied, no no, none of those, it was out of Diesel... they reprimed the whole system with diesel and it fired right up! , So here I am Conbobulated.... how is it out of diesel, the last time i shut her down there was 1/4 of a tank in it, i rarely let it get below that... so I get to thinking, my girl friend has a key to my truck in case i lose mine or its locked inside, soo i called her..... and she confessed, that she drove it that night when i was out with the guys, and she ran it on Empty, then went to take it back to get fuel, but wouldnt start, so she got a gas can and put the fuel i had back in it, and didnt tell me until $150 later 2 New batteries, which i did need but still.....lol So i hope u guys enjoy this and laugh your asses off at me..lol But I really to appreciate how you guys did everything you could to help me chase this ghost.... but im still going to be on here everyday, its became a habit..lol but my truck is coming back with a 4" BullyDog Exhaust curtisiy of my girlfriends credit card i forgot was in my wallet :) good times, Thanks guys..lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58