bobby

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've had my 03 disconnected for over 40,000 miles now and no problem :D

By the way great site

DONCOEXT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just bought a egr valve on tuesday of last week and no change and for $307.00 i am disappointed i had all the recalls done and the truck runs worse now than it did before.the idle is very rough and the tranny feels like it has converter chatter I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
DONCOEXT said:
I just bought a egr valve on tuesday of last week and no change and for $307.00 i am disappointed

Why did you buy the EGR valve? It's covered under the diesel engine warranty. Just had mine replaced. As long as your rig has under 100k on the ticker, it's covered. $100 deductable.

DONCOEXT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ihave 112000 on this big rig no warranty the dealer was nice enough to give me a discount of 50.00 just curious what does a bad turbo feel like does it make a certain noise or a certian feeling what should i look for.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONCOEXT said:
I just bought a egr valve on tuesday of last week and no change and for $307.00 i am disappointed i had all the recalls done and the truck runs worse now than it did before.the idle is very rough and the tranny feels like it has converter chatter I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG

good lord there are PLENTY of ford dealers on the web that
are selling 'em for less than 1/2 that price...

hell when mine was replaced under warrenty a couple weeks
ago they only BILLED ford about 400 bucks !

you should have damm near been able to have the thing
diagnosed, removed and installed for what you paid for the
valve alone !

even if youre outside the 3/36 warrenty youd only have had
to pay 100 bucks for this repair (unless youre over 100k miles)

ralphinnj

Lifted Dually in NJ
Reaction score
DONCOEXT said:

Some questions. Do you make boost? When they serviced the truck (on all those different occassions), did they inspect the turbo? Stuck vanes can give symptoms like what you have described. When in Park, can you rev it no problems? Sounds right? That will tell me if it is a load issue or not. When in Park, you generate almost no boost, so it is a good way to see how things run without the turbo. I'm guessing that is ok.

Another culprit could be injectors. And they had a lot of trouble with those, let me tell you. Do you notice any smoke above and beyond normal? Cracked injectors will not properly control fuel flow and you will see extra smoke that can be black, grey or brownish. Also, if you have a leaky injector, your garage will smell strongly of diesel.

Did they check your oil pump? If it is not generating enough pressure, the fuel system won't pump; thay are interlocked. If it was a sporadic pump problem, everytime your sensors sense too low a pressure, they shut down the fuel pump and that feels like a buck. That would normally be it (happened to me), but maybe it is a loose wire or something like that.

Oh, did you check the decanter? If it is full of water, it will seep water into the fuel and you'd have all the symptoms you described.

Thats all I can think of for now...

RL

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
RL-
i got all of the above issues, but i get BLUE smoke every morning on initial start up. :eek: what is your take on that? i have my ideas, just looking for extra input. when the truck is lucky enough to be in the garage and even be running, it sure does wreek bad.:eek:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
humm...there were some 03 problems cracking pistons and ive seen
at least one story about busted rockers....but from what i
can tell from reading...they were limited to 03 modyrs.

seems to me if you have blue smoke thats OIL <black smoke is fuel>...
rings ? valve guides ? would be the historical diagnoses...is it blue
smoke under load ? or just in the morning/after sitting over night /etc ?

smoke in the morning would lead me to beleive there are issues w/
the TOP end (oil leaking down from the TOP over night).

DONCOEXT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well for all those that have helped in this long battle I have fond the problem after taking the truck to yet another dealer i have two bad injectors #3 and #8 so they told me $998.00 parts and labor if this is a crazy price please let me know THANK YOU EVERYONE

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
bushpilot-
that is the first i have heard of re: the cracked pistons/rockers. YES, it is blue smoke in the morning (first start):dunno

doncoext-
i too had a #8 injector bad but i never knew it. the turbo failed and i already had an appmt. for the blue smoke issue when i called dealer to have him check the turbo as well. tech found #8 leaking while poking around the engine bay...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58