Question Pro's and Con's of the F-550

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
Ive been looking at a 2007 F-550 at the local dealership. Its brand new and they are trying to get it off of there parking lot. I think they'll sell it for 31K
Im wondering if anyone knows what would be some of the cons of owning one.
-I know they ride is kinda ruff but im not so worried about that.
-And bad fuel mileage would be the only other problem. That I can see

I was tinking the main reason for the bad mileage is the gear ratio, so would it be possible to replace the gears with the same ratio as something like the F-250. The most I pull is a 16 foot jet boat so I don't need a 550, or even a 250 I just like the powerstroke.
The new one would be a full four door which I have been wanting. And it would be new so I'd be alot happier.

Also has anyone ever installed power windows or power locks, would this be expensive or even worth buying. (the new one is pretty basic on the inside)

Thanks in advance for any input!

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I can't think of any cons except for higher registration because of the weight rating. Only other thing would be the ride but you say you're not too worried about that, so nothin I can think of. Power windows shouldn't bee too bad to add. Napa window motors and a few slight door modding may be in order, but shouldn't be too awful.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure on the costs, but re gearing the 550's rear end shouldnt be a big deal. Is it a 4x4? If so then you have to re gear two ends which will add to the costs.

My opinion, be rock soild sure its what you want to do before biting off on it, even at that attractive price it might end up not being what you want. You mentioned the plain jane interior, it must be just an XL?

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A 2007 MY that's been sitting there for over a year worries me. The turbo veins do not take well to sitting for any extended period of time.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
Yeah, I really dont want to rush. Im gonna try to find some similar trucks that are the same year with and with out the power options and see what there going for. If there only a year old Im sure I could find a used one for about the same price range.
And its only 2 wheel drive which is ok but I like having 4X4 just in case. I guess Ill have to keep my eye on it.

Thanks for all the input!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For just pulling a boat I wouldn't buy a truck that large.
I have thought about a F-450 or F-550 to pull my fifth wheel,
but you have to put a bed on it and all of the other stuff, + MPG's
just plane SUCK, at $5.00 per gal fuel.
Look around some more, Diesel are getting cheaper every day.

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think for the price you pay for the F550 you could get a very nice F250 or F350. prices are going way down on all the trucks.

Crusin350

D Dub
Reaction score
Yeah, I was just bouncing the idea around in my head. It looks like a good deal but I guess Its not that good of a deal if I have to start making changes to make it the way I want it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58