Rear Main Seal leaking

02EX_PSD

Not as Junior of a Member
Reaction score
My rear main seal is leaking on my '02 7.3 and I need to replace it. Any suggestions on a replacement seal brand or any speciality seals? Thanks as always.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, It's Very Highly Unlikely the Rear Main is leaking.

Look for oil in the valley, then along the oil rails/heads.

On a 7.3 (fuel too)..Oil will leak from the above areas.. run down along the rear of the heads, passed the starter, down the bell housing.. and drip off of the lowest point.. Making You THINK the rear main is shot.

Check those First'n let us know what you find ??

Joe

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
First, It's Very Highly Unlikely the Rear Main is leaking.

Look for oil in the valley, then along the oil rails/heads.

On a 7.3 (fuel too)..Oil will leak from the above areas.. run down along the rear of the heads, passed the starter, down the bell housing.. and drip off of the lowest point.. Making You THINK the rear main is shot.

Check those First'n let us know what you find ??

Joe

X2

Tbar

copracr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had both leaks, I replaced the rear main with a fel-pro from advance. Lasted 20K so far and I just pulled the transmission again and its still dry.

befreezy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
check you high pressure oil pump. the same thing happened to me about two months ago i was told it was the rear main seal. i went to get a second opinion and it turns out that it was just a bad gasket on the pump.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Ford diesels don't blow the rear seals. 99.9% are leaking from the valley. The HPOP of turbo leaking are the main causes.

Dave

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
I have heard that the new ,low sulfur diesel fuel will eventually eat the small seals that are on the presure relief value on the back of the fuel filter canister. This value is(yellow color) on the back of the fuel filter canister that you can manually drain any water or bad fuel from the canister. Mine slowly leaked ,I smelled fuel,and saw some fuel coming down the back of the engine when changing oil. My mechanic at our FORD Dealer said he has changed several recently and they have never been an issue until the new ,ultra-clean diesel fuel came out. Cost is about $35-40 for the parts and I guess not hard to change. Might look into this as a possible solution. PS: Has anyone replaced this fuel drain value ?? Any tips?? PS #2 Has anyone noticed the rapid doubling of Diesel Oil Prices in the last 6-7 months??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14