Rear Main Seal leaking

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fuel drain orings leak do not leak because of USLD. they leaked before that fuel went to market. be careful what you hear and what you believe.

X2.

They begin to leak.. because they, like many seals & gaskets, simply dry up with age.. and loose their integrity and resilience.

Opening & Closing (exorcising) the drain valve a couple'a times.. Like during a filter change (?) Is a Good thing. IMO :dunno

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
My Ford mechanic and friend who orders the replacement parts showed me his order sheets,and the number of fuel purge values (leaking) is more than ten times GREATER now than 5 years ago--Don't know why--LSD Fuel ,AGE ????? Haa anyone replaced one? What is the proper procedure? Thanks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx Bill.

I stand corrected. :hail

Seems something ate the O rings.

Now that I think about it.. that Was one of the issues about ULSC Diesel..... It Might have an effect on some seals ect. on older diesel engine fuel systems. (7.3's, back in the day ?)

FWIW ? I know when I R&R'd mine, the O rings were dry and hard, yellow in color. The new ones were blue.... Probably made of a different compound ?

( I only payed $25-30 for the kit, not $60 however) (separate subject :watchout}

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I recall when the ULSD hit the pumps then but by pure coincidence about 2 months afterwards the fuel injectors and drain valve o-rings went on my 2002 Excursion :dizzy

dpantazis

Reaction score
the seals will NOT go bad due to USLD.

they were spec'd for bioD. Why would you think that USLD would eat them.

you guys sound like a bunch of old women.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx Bill.

I stand corrected. :hail

[Seems something ate the O rings.]

Now that I think about it.. that Was one of the issues about [ULSC Diesel..... It Might have an effect on some seals ect. on older diesel engine fuel systems.] (7.3's, back in the day ?)

FWIW ? I know when I R&R'd mine, the O rings were dry and hard, yellow in color. The new ones were blue.... Probably made of a different compound ?

( I only payed $25-30 for the kit, not $60 however) (separate subject :watchout}

NOT saying it WAS the ULSC dp. If you watch the U-tube thing.. that guys O rings were GONE. Could have ULSC related, maybe not.. but something dissolved them.

Just coincidental/suspicious information. IMO, Not deserving of your Rude comment however.

:)

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hummmmm.......................

Fuel System Leaks

A possible effect of the new refining process for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel
can contribute to fuel system leaks. These typically occur at seal points
where o-rings are used to seal fuel lines near fuel pumps and injectors. Seals
that are designed for long service and higher temperatures, such as nitrile
rubber seals, seem to be the most susceptible to leaks when using ULSD.

Reduced Energy Content

The refinement process for Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel reduces the energy
content of the fuel (typically expressed as BTU/gallon) by 1.2% or more.

http://www.stowerscat.com/pdf.asp?id=130

Engine Damage From Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel

Tbar

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Hardly think all of us are "old women" for trying to identify the source of a common eng ine issue!! Isn't this precisely the main purpose of OUR Forum--certainly Not to spread blanket Rudeness toward those with valid,logical,and verifiable (through Ford Diesel Mechanics) data on engine issues?? Sounds like we need some Proof that Low Sulfur diesel fuel has no detrimental effects on early 7.3 PSD's ! On a much more poitive note--A Big THANKS CHPMustang for the informative report on how to fix the fuel leak on the 7.3 PSD fuel filter valve!!

dpantazis

Reaction score
gentlemen-

disrespectful really? you are gossiping and trading in rumors, which do nothing more than continue the pattern. it is really disrespectful when you ask for help and the reject and refute it when you don't like it.

Racinghcr- being a Ford tech and parts guy does not an expert make. He may be a friend and a heck of a guy, but he is doing you a disservice by giving you bad information. Same goes for service writers.

If USLD was the culprit, then how would his theory explain the fact that fuel drain orings were notorious BEFORE USLD was mainstreamed?

USLD was a KNOWN change to engine designers 25 years ago and things were upgraded well in advance of its rollout.

Read more conventional sources like the trucking trade groups and diesel research board information, their research and publications are based on research, development and science instead of hearsay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14