Rear Main Seal leaking

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gentlemen-

disrespectful really? you are gossiping and trading in rumors, which do nothing more than continue the pattern. it is really disrespectful when you ask for help and the reject and refute it when you don't like it.

A. YES, disrespectful. And Counter productive to what a "Forum" is all about. We don't trade in Rumors, we Share practical, learned knowledge, from experiences.

Racinghcr- being a Ford tech and parts guy does not an expert make. He may be a friend and a heck of a guy, but he is doing you a disservice by giving you bad information. Same goes for service writers.

B.Bad information ? They sell parts.. they know which ones fail. Again, practical, learned knowledge from experience. Good brain food.

If USLD was the culprit, then how would his theory explain the fact that fuel drain orings were notorious BEFORE USLD was mainstreamed?

C.Many of us didn't know that. That's why we join Sites like this ? Maybe ?.

USLD was a KNOWN change to engine designers 25 years ago and things were upgraded well in advance of its rollout.

D.Many of us might not have known that either.

Read more conventional sources like the trucking trade groups and diesel research board information, their research and publications are based on research, development and science instead of hearsay.

E.Who in the Heck wants to sit down a read Pubs, and do Research, on a simple, (or maybe complex) problem (?) When there's Sites like this ? Again, that's why we JOINED here ?

In my opinion, here's how a "Forum" Process is sposta work:

We Post a Question. We get X amount of responses. Out of those X amount of responses we will hopefully get.. some friendly Guidance & Direction.... From the Common Folk.. and maybe those who turn wrenches for a living.

Rude comments are Counterproductive to that Process.

Small Tatter's, It's Christmas.:)

I'm dun.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is a free (as in $$) site. Not a paid for professional site like Ford Doctors Diesel Technical site. Do you really want "professional answers"? I feel that this is a site, by us, for us, to fix our problems. Sort of like our country. I, too, am done.

Dave

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Well said Big Joe ! Glad you understand like stated in my last post what our Forum is all about! Appreciate your experience and helpfull info on our 7.3 PSD's! Thanks again and a Happy 2012 !

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are all ok in my book, and that's why I keep coming back here. "Testiness" aside, or perception thereof anyhow, the forum is a good way to learn and to keep "current" on what ails my truck. Thanks! Hope you all had a good Christmas!

PS: after 10 years of use, I'm sure glad I changed my fuel bowl o-rings. Some were seemingly like new, but especially bad was the fuel drain o-rings and the rotted compression sleeve on the main fuel line -- I think the drain line O-rings get abused from the mechanical torquing when you rotate the drain lever repeatedly over many (10+) years, plus a deep set of seats to grab and abrade the O-rings...but who really knows what all is in our fuel besides not as much sulfur as before? Just my speculation...

The dieselorings site lists 3 grades of replacements incidentally: black, brown, blue..as follows:
The black Viton o-rings are polymerized from two monomers, vinylidene fluoride and hexafluoropropylene (Viton type A).

The brown Viton o-rings (Viton type B)are polymerized from three monomers, vinylidene fluoride, hexafluoropropylene and tetrafluoroethylene. The terpolymer blend of Viton has shown to have additional resistance to fuel permeation ans swell when used with ULSD and BioDiesel than standard Viton (A).

The Blue Fluorosilicone has a much wider temperature range than Viton (A) or Viton (B) and is widely used in extream environmental conditions. They will stay flexible in artic conditions down to -70º F.

And...to all a good night!! :)

02EX_PSD

Not as Junior of a Member
Reaction score
Wow, and to think I only asked a question about a possible rear main leak......I appreciate the info on the oil in the valley and the HPOP seals as well as the fuel filter drain. As it turns out, you guys were right. The rear main is fine.
So do you recommend DieselORings.com for the repair kits?
Thanks again!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear main is fine.
So do you recommend DieselORings.com for the repair kits?
Thanks again!

That's who I just used for parts for my fuel bowl rebuild. Very nicely organized set, with some pictures "to scale" so you can make sure you are using the right ones in the right place. I also bought a few fuel line compression sleeves from the IH dealer today, and they were a bit thicker and a lot stiffer, tough to slide over the flared ends...and, 4 fittings were about $10. The DieselOrings site is pretty reasonable by comparison :sweet

Racinghcr

Racinghcr
Reaction score
Thanks for the ULSD FACTS about the negative effects on PSD O-rings and seals Mr Tbar!! I read the same report and several others on the problem. Guess I better throw in some more oil in the fuel! Thanks Again Pal!

02EX_PSD

Not as Junior of a Member
Reaction score
That's who I just used for parts for my fuel bowl rebuild. Very nicely organized set, with some pictures "to scale" so you can make sure you are using the right ones in the right place. I also bought a few fuel line compression sleeves from the IH dealer today, and they were a bit thicker and a lot stiffer, tough to slide over the flared ends...and, 4 fittings were about $10. The DieselOrings site is pretty reasonable by comparison :sweet

Thanks for the great info. I will get that kit headed this way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14