redneck build summary (pretty long)

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally forgot to post this over here when all this happened and so for the people on here that dont venture over to tds i will recap what happened, which parts i decided to go with and why.

My problems started back in mid october with tranny issues and have been drug out since. Jon Faubion couldnt figure out why his tranny wouldnt hold after rebuilding my unit a second time and a new tc it was still slipping. He came to the conclusion that a single disk tc just wasnt enough to hold the beast:eek: :burnit . So he ordered a tc from BTS and installed it, problem solved:sweet :thanks .

Jon had my truck for a long time troubleshooting and testing but finally to my excitement in early feb he called me and said it was done. Needless to say after 4 months i was ready to drive my baby so i begged my parents (for a ride) to make the trip down asap. We made the 4.5hr trip down and man was i impressed with the tranny! It just had a completely different feel than my junk build, i couldnt beleive the difference. We got headed northbound and while getting on to hwy i decided to lay into it hard and ended up breaking the tires loose at 40-45mph and about shat myself:roflmao . After a few miles i came across a 3rd gen dodge that wanted some, so from a roll (70mph or so) we went and boy did he get suprised. He got a little jump but when the turbo lit we were off, he and his passenger both looked over at me like WTF:confused: when things finally got lit :roflmao . I proceeded to put about 7-8 links on him (3.55 gears, 265 tires and 3200rpm max:eek:anyone know how to figure mph? ) and shut it down. He pulled back next to me and gave :sweet, well i set the cruise again and he took off with smoke! I just pummeled a chipped 3rd gen! It was obvious that he must have been stock turboed if i whooped him that bad.

I get to closer to Wildmans house and notice somehting just isnt right. I have a bad vibration/ miss. At Tony's we run the scantool, check all sensor connections, etc... and onlything we get was bunch of injectors not passing cyl cont test. Great 300 miles from home to get tuning and something else breaks-mad . At this point im about to hit the nearest chevy dealer and go home with a new dmax:eek:. Tony reburnt my chip with some new burns but nothing felt right, turbo was hard to light and well truck just ran like crap. So i did what anyone with a temper would do, i drove it 300 miles home and most of the tiem was well above speed limit. When i finally arrived home the whole underside and rear of truck was covered in fuel/ oil mixture, now i was really lost. If an injector(s) arent firing why do i have fuel everywhere? After a couple days pouting i decided to pull injectors to have bean check them out and stumbled across my real problem. 2 broke rocker arms and 2 really bent pushrods....Dohhhh (homer simpson voice) If i woulda caught the problem in OK i might have saved the engine, but due to runnign it 300+ miles with NO valves in #4 opening the rings were toast and so was the connecting rod due to hydralocking numerous times.

I started the official "5k redneck budget build" thread and with lots of input i decided to go with: .010 lower comp mahle pistons, new heads from IH, hardened connecting rods from WipeOut enterprises, chromoly pushrods from WOE, mainstuds from WOE, comp cams "rev kit", fully balance and what ever machine work needed (~$3800 parts). I finally got all the parts so i took stuff to machine shop (3/18) so they could do there thing and assemble the rotating assembly for me. A few days later (3/28) they call me and tell me the connecting rods had been machined wrong so they were no good, nice. Sooo im thinking now what? After a few calls i decide to send rods back(duh:roflmao ) and since WOE were such stand up people i decided to stick with them but this time with a set of billet rods:sweet . With the hardened stock rods i was kinda worried abou them holding the power, but now with billets it should be able to hold anything i want ot throw at it. I ordered them 3/28 and they should be here late next week or early week after. My original goal was to have entire build at 5k or under, but since i cant seem to control myself when it comes to power I feel comfortable spending a little more money to help hold the power better. Right now its looking like build should be 6k range even with billet rods.

Luke

ps- if you actually read all this you must be bored :roflmao

Last edited:

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
Bored hell, great post Luke! your saga is exactly what most of us tend to forget, the extra power is an addiction that we try to feed constantly, but stock stuff can and will fail.....when you bolt on a mod for hp be prepared for breaking something along the line, and the breakage is usually gonna be 2 to 4 times the mod cost in some instances.........I keep telling myself I'm gonna quit when I get to 400 hp.....if and when I do, i know its gonna be ...well 450 should be safe..........

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Luke,

Very nice recap of your problems, please continue to post your progress here for us.

Mike

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The things I could do if I had :burnit bravery, luck, mechanical aptitude and money.:hail Great story. Keep us posted.:sweet

twildman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Luke didn't tell ya was that I was ready to beat his ass like a redheaded stepchild when I found out he was spankin Dodges and I hadn't retuned for the bigass hybrids:nutkick: .

Dat boy aint never gonna lurn!

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, im sure there will be plenty more opportunities to spank some dodges in the near future.

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lukecline said:
lol, im sure there will be plenty more opportunities to spank some dodges in the near future.

we are just counting the days luke and we both will be spanking dodges once again :burnit

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rods didnt get here when they were supposed to, so i called and they told me atleast 2 more weeks (prob closer to 3 due to shipping). I keep trying to tell myself it will be worth it in the end, but damn stuff just keeps going wrong. Just bought a new high efficiency ic from Diesel Innovations. Looks like a pretty good mod.

Heres some prelim testing info from Blowby on "other" site:

Testing DI's IC:

Ambient Temp - 73 deg

Crusing speed 60 mph
Aircharge pre IC 115 deg
Air temp post IC 61 deg
12 deg BELOW ambient

WOT from 30 mph (temps above as start point)
Aircharge per IC 415 deg (hash marks stop at 400)
Air temp post IC 105 deg
310 deg drop (maybe higher, might have pegged the gauge)

Tested w/ Autometer Two-Stage Air Temp guage w/ Max Temp Recall
Install was a direct replacement w/ only one change.
3" ID 8" long hoses(2) and 2 hose clamps (use the OEM clamps from tubes)

Testing #2 DI's IC:

Ambient Temp - 62 deg

WOT from 30 mph
Aircharge per IC 405 deg (hash marks stop at 400)
Air temp post IC 89 deg
Air temp Autoenginuity MAT 91 deg
315 deg drop "Even better"

Maximum internal surface contact area between air and transfer media and minimal restriction will out weigh a larger volume.

Just got back pulling my 24 ft enclosed trailer loaded to about 10K lbs. Ambient air temp was 32-36 deg during the entire trip. Egt's are about 200 (minimum) deg lower and the post IC temps were at about 2-5 deg lower than ambient while crusing at 70-75 through rolling hills.

Rolled on the throttle until pinned in a flat area starting at 60 mph and the pre temp was over 415 (pegged) and the post was only 70 deg max.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Patience grasshopper! :)
It will all be a memory (and lessons learned soon) enough.
There’s much to do, cleaning, polishing. Send me your VC’s and I will have Tyler lay some flames on them! :sweet
Or better yet, plan a weekend up here and bring along what ever you want to polish and have at the wheel! I got plenty of emery cloth and polishing compound and even some new wheels!
Glad you got something else to drive in the mean time!
Rick H...

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i have a little more firewall massaging to do and need to finish up a couple other minor projects, nothing a few spare hours wont take care of. Also decided to take heads to machine shop to get checked for flatness, milled if need be and gonna go ahead and have them bolt heads on. One less thing i can screw up, lol. Oh my "new" truck isnt very new, its a $1500 clunker f150 that leaks more oil than it burns gas so its not very good for trips:eek:. Im pretty well stuck within 20-30 miles with that truck, it runs quite well (302ci) but im pretty sure to get up to your place and back id need a 55 gal drum of oil:roflmao -popcorn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg