reduce under hood temperatures

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our PSD 6.0 under hood temperatures are known to be very hot.
I have noticed that our down pipes do not have any heat shielding on them.
It might help if we wrapped the down pipe with heat shielding.
Has anyone attempted this?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
in can tell you what my ser. mgr. told me back in may when all my engine work was done, cause i asked him to clean the hood liner. he said to just remove it, hood was fully painted, the new ones don't come w/ a liner, or shielding/wrap cuz they find it holds in too much heat...ummm duhh

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i personally want to but they don't have the KIND i want for a sd. i want a cobra cowl w/ snake eyes. it only will work on a f150-mad

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am talking about is (header wrap) The type of wrap they use to wrap around headers. This would keep all the heat in the down pipe and not let the heat excape into the engine compartment, therefore reducing the total heat buildup in the engine compartment.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
maxtor-
as i said earlier, new vehicles are not supposed to have it cuz they say it holds in too much heat. i helped a buddy remove the stock exhaust on an 03 that came into the shop (he won a 4'' american thunder flowmaster) during a fishing contest. the stock downpipe had heat wrap on it.:dunno
the flowmaster system was supposed to come w/ the shielding but it was not in the box, he told the guy if he wanted it (which flowmaster said they forgot to put it in the box) once he got it, to bring it in and he would put it on. he never did...

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
if it aint broken dont fix it is one theory (not mine).. but the way i figure it no one else with a 6.0 seems to have any worries or problem from the heat, then its probably not that big of an issue, just my :2c
but if its something ya really wanna do i aint gonna stop ya.... :D

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am an old time hot rod'er and we found that we could increase hp by wrapping the exhaust manifolds. This served another purpose which would be to keep the under hood temps down. My truck did not come with heat shielding on the down pipe, but it would seem to me that it would be the thing to do. I probably will purchase the 3.5 inch down pipe and 4" from cat back system. I will then wrap the down pipe. My guess is that Ford saved some money by not installing heat shielding from the factory. You guys with automatic transmissions would benefit
if you would wrap the exhaust on where it is close to the transmission. Any of you remember when the older Ford trucks had exhaust pipe go below and across the oil pan? We always would wrap the pipe to keep the oil in the pan from getting overheated. Only downside is for you guys in the North East, where you get a lot of snow, the wrap can collect moisture and cause rust on pipe. If you keep it dry, there are no down sides.If you go to a race track, you will see the turbo cars have the complete exhaust system wraped. Keeping the heat inside the pipes is a good thing...
Go to the below for good explaination of how it works.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/exhaust_wrap.php

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds good in theory, but in actuality, it probably gains less that 5 HP. While yes it will keep the heat down under the hood some, that big thing in the front filled with orange water and a big fan behind it puts a lot more heat BTU wise under the hood than an exhaust pipe ever could.

Standing still, yeah, it might hurt but how often are you at 30 pounds of boost, wide open throttle, at a complete standstill with no air moving by the vehicle?

If it really made that much of a difference for its cost, you'd see it used a lot more commercially. Big trucks don't use it. Some race appilcations might, but in a competitive field where 2 HP more than the guy beside you means you're winning a 100k purse, yeah okay. I don't believe that nascar or IRL Cart uses it.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the great thing about America, we all can do as we wish. Heat under the hood is always a bad thing. Reducing that heat by what ever methods you choose is up to the individual. One of the goal's of this website is for us PSD owners to share ways to make our trucks better. I will be wrapping my down pipe. If you do not want to take advantage of this improvement, don't do it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58