reduce under hood temperatures

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a temp reading before and after. I'm curiouse to see how much difference it will make.

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about ceramic coating? That's supposed to keep heat in, plus it won't hold moisture like a wrap will or take up as much space. Plus it just looks nice on your boost tubes if you do them as well (can't realy see the up pipes or manifolds when installed).

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oooo Yeah... that's some good stuff... Had that on the headers on my 351 powered Capri... Don't know how hot it would have been without, but in 8 years they never rotted out...

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is already wrap on the stock down pipe... But it is there for sound deading not for heat.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you guys are thinking.
Ceramic coating will work fine. It is more expensive than wrap, but does the same job. There are other spray on products that do the same thing. Ceramic coating is a very good product. Anything to keep the heat inside the pipes will produce hp and reduce under hood heat. My truck April 2006 did not have any heat shielding of any type on the down pipe. When I looked at it, it stuck out like a sore thumb. That is why I started this topic. The shielding under the hood is normally foam or synthetic material for sound deadening. On my truck there is no sound deadening material attached to the hood. A byproduct of under hood heating is premature wire and plastic failure. Temperatures in the down pipe could exceed 1200 degrees, so what ever product you choose, needs to be able to handle that temperature.
Kleetus; That is a good idea about testing the heat level before and after coating the down pipe. I'll borrow my wife's oven temp gauge.
Think of a 3 or 3.5 inch pipe coming out of a wood stove, how much heat does it radiate?

Last edited:

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
CSIPSD said:
There is already wrap on the stock down pipe... But it is there for sound deading not for heat.

i am under the impression it is used as both...
i helped a buddy install a flowmaster system on an 03 and flowmaster forgot to put the shielding in the box, didn't matter anyway, the guy did not want it.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
Maxtor said:
Now you guys are thinking.
Ceramic coating will work fine. It is more expensive than wrap, but does the same job. There are other spray on products that do the same thing. Ceramic coating is a very good product. Anything to keep the heat inside the pipes will produce hp and reduce under hood heat. My truck April 2006 did not have any heat shielding of any type on the down pipe. When I looked at it, it stuck out like a sore thumb. That is why I started this topic. The shielding under the hood is normally foam or synthetic material for sound deadening. On my truck there is no sound deadening material attached to the hood. A byproduct of under hood heating is premature wire and plastic failure. Temperatures in the down pipe could exceed 1200 degrees, so what ever product you choose, needs to be able to handle that temperature.
Kleetus; That is a good idea about testing the heat level before and after coating the down pipe. I'll borrow my wife's oven temp gauge.
Think of a 3 or 3.5 inch pipe coming out of a wood stove, how much heat does it radiate?

begs a good question. has anyone wrapped their manifolds and downtube and is it even possible. who wants to be the guinea pig?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why you would want to wrap all of the pipes. I can generate more boost than the truck will use and I don't have an underhood temperature problem. I do tow some heavy loads.

Dave

Weweld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stroked Lightning has the entire system exhaust wrapped from the manifolds all the way back to the stack.:sweet

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrapping the exhausts is nothing new, people have been doing it for years.
When I get the new mbrp turbo back system, I'll wrap the down pipe and take some pictures. I took a picture earlier today of the down pipe that is ( bare ), and it does not show up very well. A temperature reading before and after will tell the tale. I think everyone will be surprised at the outcome. For those of you who live in Alaska, you might not need it. The rest of us who live in hot climates, any heat reduction is a good thing for our under hood components.
On second thought, I'll purchase the wrapping Monday and put it on the stock 3 inch pipe, and make it a little long, so it will fit the 3.5 inch down pipe that I plan to purchase.
Add for Thermo-tec wrap sold by Summit Racing:

Prevent engine heat from robbing horsepower.
By wrapping your headers with Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap, you keep exhaust heat in your pipes where it belongs. This reduces underhood temperatures up to 70 percent, and cools the incoming air/fuel mixture to increase horsepower and fuel efficiency. Not only that, but the reduced heat also extends the life of electronic components. Exhaust wrap can withstand continuous heat up to 2,000 degrees F, and installs easily with standard hose clamps or the optional stainless steel Snap Straps.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294923429+4294923290+115+4294918557

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58