Replacement Shocks

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think im going to get the 5100 series. I cant get over the yellow and blue color of the 4600's.
How difficult is it to install these on your own? I half 3.5 ton floor jack and also jack stands. thanks!

Nut'n to it.. the backs are just a Remove & Replace. The front are a bit tougher.. yul need to go thru the wheel well to get the top bushing/washers and nuts on but.. no big deal.

I'd get a Healthier Jack though. Yer call, but I've always carried an 8 ton.. comes in handy for alota other stuff.

Joe

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 5100 bilstein and have been very happy with them, my wifes excursion is stock and i tried the rancho and the pro comp and both of them failed about 1-2 years into it (actually blued the shaft from riding in the same 2" area and getting hot) and that is not a good return on shocks in my opinion so i tried the 5100's and am very happy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I trashed a set of Pro Comp Shocks that I got with their Lift kit. I junked the lift kit after it sagged, added Ford X springs and Bilstein 5100 series shocks. They are the greatest shocks I have ever bought.

Dave

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, shock are not hard to replace. I did it with just simple hand tools (Wrenches and ratchet/sockets).

What I did to install them was:
Backed the truck up on my ramps, rear tires only.
I jacked up the front, removed the tire and then supported the chassis/frame with a jack stand. This allowed the front suspension to "streach out" and give me more room to work.
Removed the front shock. On the Excursion, the top nut is a 15mm, and the bottom was an 19mm.
Replaced the front shock. Repeat for the other side.
Rolled under the back, removed the bottom bolt, 18mm and the top 2 bolts from the chassis, 10mm. The Ex mounts the rears differently than the F-Series trucks. Replaced the shock, repeated or the other rear shock.
I believe it took 1.5 hours total, this was from putting the truck on the ramps to putting the tools away.
The only difficult part is the fact these are gas charged shocks, and are difficult to compress, and once compressed, they start to extend quickly. So you have to work quickly to get everything lined up. Other than that, it is not difficult at all.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I have looked at both Bilstein and Rancho. I am looking at getting new shocks soon and can't decide which one. I see the great reviews on Bilstien. I like the thought of Rancho ride settings and remote. Does anyone have any input on whether Rancho last like the Bilstiens?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I think im going to get the 5100 series. I cant get over the yellow and blue color of the 4600's.
How difficult is it to install these on your own? I half 3.5 ton floor jack and also jack stands. thanks!

Did you end up installing the 5100's? I am curious cuase i pretty much have the same setup as you do. 2 1/2 inch front level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58