Replacement Shocks

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers and suggestions.

It looks like I am going with the Bilstein 4600's. Have to get them ordered.

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope so. Of all the answers I received in both sites which I think was close to 10, one 2 or 3 said something besides Bilstien.....

Plus, if they last as long as some of the reports, I will not have to do this again for a long time. Which is a good thing. Besides if they do go bad, they have a good warrenty, don't they?

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure, since I am running stock height. But, you may be able to run the stock replacent size. The 4600 is the stock size, the 5100 is for lifted trucks. Looking at several sites, the 1st "lifted shock" size I saw was for a 4" lift. So you may be able to use the same ones that I am getting.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I tried Bilstien's and did not like them. I recently installed Doetsch tech (baja riders) and they are much smoother.

Off Road Truck Racing and Automotive Suspension Lift and Lowering Kits

They cost $208.00 (plus shipping) for a set of four. They are a hydraulic shock not gas.

Just measure the shock at normal setting (center eye to center eye) and they will tell you which one you will need.

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have a set of Bilstein 4600's ordered for the Ex. Had a local shop (4 Wheel Parts) the was having a shock sale. Got them for about the same as online, with free shipping to the house. So I have a project when the Big Brown, or White Truck shows up. I will give an update on how everything goes......

I did, however, make a mistake when I ordered the shocks. We were headed out of town for the day, so we decided to take the Sable Wagon instead of the truck to save a bit of fuel money. I drove the car to the 4x4 shop, what a BIG mistake. Apparently, I made the wagon jealous, the truck got some shiney new parts, but I didn't........ On the way back home from Cincinnati, about 50 miles from home, I stopped at a gas station to "return" some coffee/pop and to buy another cup of coffee. This was about Midnight Sat/Sun (luckily). Hopped back in the car, and headed toward the interstate ramp. Pushed on the brake to stop at the top of the ramp, the pedal hit the floor and the red "Brake!" light on the dash came on. Though oh boy, this is going to be a fun trip home. Nursed it back home, the service brakes were working, just not well. Pulled in the drive, went in and went to bed...... Got up yesterday morning, pulled the car in the garage and jacked up the drivers side. It was easy to figure out which side it was, with all the puddles under the drivers side. Found that BOTH rear brake lines under the drivers door had rusted, and I had a pinhole in both lines. So I spent a few hours yesterday replacing the rusted brake lines. So now the car stops very well again, and is seems to be happy, now that it got some shiney new brake lines.

Now I just need to keep the Neon away from the other two, don't want it to get jealous too.......

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Update:

I have the Bilstein's installed on the truck and they have made a world of difference!

I had some issues initially (incorrect shocks shipped, received a set for an F-350, Ex mounts differently than an F-Series). They have made the truck ride much nicer. On the Interstate, it has eliminated the see-saw motion caused by the expansion joints. Body roll has been reduced and it handles much better. I am extremely pleased with these shocks.

Re-cap:
I have installed 4 Bilstein 4600 shocks (Blue an yellow). They have drastically improved the ride and handling of the truck. So far, they seem to be worth the cost!!! I will give updates as time goes on. At this point we have about 300 miles on this set, and it was a combination of Interstate, and back roads.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

I have the Bilstein's installed on the truck and they have made a world of difference!

I had some issues initially (incorrect shocks shipped, received a set for an F-350, Ex mounts differently than an F-Series). They have made the truck ride much nicer. On the Interstate, it has eliminated the see-saw motion caused by the expansion joints. Body roll has been reduced and it handles much better. I am extremely pleased with these shocks.

Re-cap:
I have installed 4 Bilstein 4600 shocks (Blue an yellow). They have drastically improved the ride and handling of the truck. So far, they seem to be worth the cost!!! I will give updates as time goes on. At this point we have about 300 miles on this set, and it was a combination of Interstate, and back roads.

;tu Yer guna like them Bilsteins, more & more, as time passes ;tu;tu

They seem to work very well at fixing most any Ride & Handling issues.. Long Term too.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I think im going to get the 5100 series. I cant get over the yellow and blue color of the 4600's.
How difficult is it to install these on your own? I half 3.5 ton floor jack and also jack stands. thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58