Road Trip!

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well new tires are on the truck! Firestone Destination AT's in a 285/75R16 LT. VERY quite compared to the Cooper discovery.
A little better ride as well.
Now to finish up the trailer brake replacement and I quit, well thats all done, now a test drive and adjust as needed!
Will be riding on 8 new tires 8 new brakes new air bags, what else could possibly need to be changed or added? Wait do not answer that!
Now I can do the fun stuff... get may Ham Radio gear and antenna ready for operating in the mountains!
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well consider this...
This trip alone will save enough off cost of fuel at pump by using Biodiesel to pay for all but 50 bucks of the tires on the truck!!
I am hot, tired and exhausted. I will be sooo glad when Saturday comes and I can sit behind the wheel for 3 hours to our first stop!
Looking at the forecast for the cities we are headed to, SUCKS!
100+ in Montana, give me a break already!
Rick H...

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: Global warming! :D

I was talking with my unlce about the strange rain patterns and heat waves. We thought about the tsunami in Dec 05. Before west texas saw 100+ easily during summer, now have only hit it once. We are 10" over on were we should be on rain now. Have'nt had any big hurricanes after the tsunami. I don't know but it seemed interesting to me and my uncle.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well consider this...
This trip alone will save enough off cost of fuel at pump by using Biodiesel to pay for all but 50 bucks of the tires on the truck!!
I am hot, tired and exhausted. I will be sooo glad when Saturday comes and I can sit behind the wheel for 3 hours to our first stop!
Looking at the forecast for the cities we are headed to, SUCKS!
100+ in Montana, give me a break already!
Rick H...

Well just made a 200 mile run towing the trailer and all went well. Had to do a minor brake adjustment as the trailer was yawing when the brakes were applied. Man all new brakes sure make a big difference! Had the rights a little to tight.
New tires are very quite!
Got everything weighed looks ok. Trailer only rated at 5,500#. Hmm, two 3,500# axles and they only rate the Trailer at 5,500#??? I went to a larger and heavier tire on the Trailer so I think the 100# over is going to be ok!
Truck does a very good job of pulling hills, stupid tranny shifting sucks, does very nice in 1st and second, but goes to 3rd way to soon. I tried to keep it at or above 1,500 rpm when pulling a hill or taking off from a stop. With the shifting strategy I sometimes will pull it back into 2nd, even does this with the OD off. Tranny temps were excellent < 170 f with ambient of 86, so can not complain there. I did notice when backing the TT into place in the driveway (using 4 low) the temps shot up pretty quick to around 190-200f.
GCVW = 15,400, ha room to spare, think I will throw on another 30 gallons of fuel!
Rear axle was a little heavy at 11,500# but the air bags at 60psi keeps everything level and under control. Top speed as 68 mph.
Got passed by a few semis never really noticed until one pull right back in front of me, I must have been in his wake cause I could feel the trailer wagging a little!
Only traveled about 8 miles on interstate, rest of it was 2 lane country roads and a few miles of gravel. All WITHOUT the weight distributing (lever) bars or sway bar on!
All in all, I am happy. Now if nothing breaks, the 2,500 mile run should uneventful!
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well we got a good start Saturday. First stop Yankton SD, then Sunday moved to Spearfish SD.
Truck is doing ok despite the 107 deg temps in SD, this SUCKS!
Never seen the temp gauge that high before and trans temp wanted to run about 195. Avg about 10 mpg towing. Kept speeds around 65, which is the States limit for towing anyway.
Re torqued the trailer lug nuts once and did get a little on them, so check them lug nuts!
Brakes are working good and think I have the controller dialed in now.
Still worried about the heat. Supposed to be 104 today. did zI mention that the temps SUCK!
Just refueled my self from fuel in the back, pump I rigged up works great. So far all the preparation has paid off.
Rick H...

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sounds like you're just moving along out there Rick,I'll be keeping tabs on your adventures on the road,keep us posted:ford :thumbs

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Rear axle was a little heavy at 11,500# but the air bags at 60psi keeps everything level and under control.

11,500# on the rear axle :eek: :eek: I thought I was pushing the limits with my camper(6,800# on the rear axle, over 11k gross).

Have a good trip :sweet

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rickn, Glad to hear that all is going well so far. Just keep it up,and yes the preparation has paid off. Are you a little over weight on the rear tires, 11,500 sounds heave to me. Have fun on the rest of the trip.
Just ain't no feeling like that Ford Truck Mobilling.:thumbs :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14