Road Trip!

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Its been hotter than the hubs of hell up here in the high desert Rick, you wont get much relief in your trek across Wyo at all.

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
No kidding!
Looking forward to getting even further West and higher up.
Tranny running hot so changed fluid, seemed ok though.
All that came out was 6 qts through the drain pan. Put 8 back in. Made the run from Spearfish SD to Buffalo WY 100 deg outside, truck ran above L on the gauge (normaL) never seen that warm before, tranny ran around 210. More than I like but seems to be holding together. The hills out here are sooooo long. Seems if I can keep the speed around 75 at 2,400 rpm does ok, still runs warm. Thats just too fast towing though. Fuel mileage sucks big time. Not sure just how bad yet, need to compute, hard to do when filling up out of stock in back of truck!
We are at 933 miles right now and I THINK I have used 135 gals of fuel. I was hoping for an average of 10 but with hills and wind I do not think that is going to happen. Oh well maybe we will just skirt Billings and head straight to Yellowstone. Suppose to cool down maybe that will help.
Soo here I sit in Buffalo Wyoming, 100 deg f outside, AC just now catching up in trailer and pool is looking pretty good.
Will check in latter.
Rick H...

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
Well here we are in Greybull WY, weather finally cooled off.
I unloaded the Superchips tuner before crossing the Big Horn Mts. Missed the extra power but truck did not get hot and on the 7% slop climb only got down to 45 mph, second gear holding 3k rpms. Did ok I guess for what we weight.
There were a few times the truck felt dead flat no power, then it was fine.
All in alkl, ok.
So 1 night here and then into Yellowstone, finally! 6 days 4 people in a 22' trailer and we are about to kill each other!!!!
Will check in later,
Rick H...

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your doing great with the weight you're dragging.Stay safe

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
95 I will check that out. We are heading out in the morning (Fri) and stopping in Cody for some supplies, I am guessing there is a Wal Mart there.
Just check the engine oil and still where it was at when we left Nebraska. I thought the way I pushed it over the mnts it would have used some!
Not sure if fuel is going to hold out, will know more once we get to Yellowstone and I fill myself up again.
Still have 8 days to go!!!!
Not sure I could get any pics uploaded. Got no where to host them from here, do not have my FTP software with me and the connections I found are crap. Right now at KOA but can not get their WI FI to work so I am using someone in the close proximity... Dont you love it when someone does not secure their network!
Can I upload pictures here?
Did a little BLM roaming today, saw Devils Kitchen and some fossil beds.
One thing I do need to fix is the stupid squeeky LF brake. I just put them on and for some reason the wear indicator is rubbing. Pulled the tire yesterday and bent on it a little but could not get it to stop. Wondering if I put it on backwards... Oh well does not hurt anything just annoying.
Oh, coming over the Big Horn pass, the left trailer brakes got really HOT. Should not have did not use them much, could loose speed in second gear. Rights were fine. Same thing before we left, I loosend them but guess I need to loosen them some more. Checked em again after running on flat ground and not hot. Oh well, just do not want to cook the grease out of the bearing.
Later all,
Rick H... (Standing outside in the rain to get a WI FI signal!)

rickh

Biodiesel Rules!
Reaction score
well survied yellowstone. no bears nice and cool. came down to Tetons at 6k ft and hotter than heck! were going to stay 2 nights but already changed plans this private RV park has NO SHADE and is less than impressive at 60 bucks a night!!!! heading back to park in the am for one night.
Fuel is getting low. around 120 gal left doubting we are going to make it back home on it! gonna have to suck it up buy some fuel. the truck won't know how to act on petro.
later..
rick

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure and get you some two stroke oil to put in with the ulsd. This might help not shock the truck as much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg