ROI (Return on Investment) Pay back

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350DRW1

I understand the RPM vs MPG but did not know the sweet zone for the 6.0. So the 1700+/- is the area for best MPG?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
95 Stroker

I had the believe that with 6.0 and 5 speed auto that the F350 fuel mileage would equal or better my old "X" 7.3.

I like my 06 6.0 but I dont think it is near the engine my 7.3L was. I had power/economy AND peace of mind with the 7.3's reliability record.

However, driven properly I know the 6.0 is capable of 18-19 mpg and honestly I had to tenderfoot the 7.3 to achieve those numbers too. I also know the 6.0 is as reliable as can be when driven properly too.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have bought about the worst combination for fuel economy.

F350
Crew cab
dually
4x4
4.10 gears
automatic

Don't worry, you're not alone, difference between yours and mine is I have 3.73 gears.

I tow travel trailers professionally, run 10 - 12k miles per month. I get 8-10 mpg loaded and 15 - 16 mpg empty..... hand calculated.... I drive with the cruise set at 62 - 63 mph, RPMs are about 1900 at this speed.

Best ROI was the $450 91 gallon aux tank that allows me to shop my fuel. Paid for itself within a month, saves me at least $50 per trip. Gonna chip it this month and see if I can improve it a little more, especially when running empty, don't mind 10 mpg when loaded as it's what my 7.3 did, but she did 18 - 20 empty.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350,Crew cab,dually,4x4,4.10 gears, automatic:

I do not see how you hope to get great mileage with this combination.
F250, std cab, 2wd, 3.55 gears, srw, and manual transmission is going to give you the best mpg.

That being said, we did 21 mpg at 55-60 mph empty.
We still average 18.5 mpg at 70 mph 1800 rpm empty.
Our best towing mpg was going south on I-5 (fairly flat) and got 14.2 mpg at 60 mph.
We are not set up for maximum mpg because we have 4x4, s/cab, 3.73 gears and F350. But we did not buy our truck for maximum mpg, but to fill our needs in size and towing.
If I were you, I would not worry about mpg, or you will not be happy with your truck.

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap mods that would net you some mpg increase would be to take off the cat and muffler, and open up the intake. Those are probably the cheapest, then you can look into economy tunes.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I would not worry about mpg, or you will not be happy with your truck.

You are 100% right. I am not happy with my truck, In particular the engine and not because I am having problems with it because it has been reliable thus far, my next step is to start taking off every piece of EPA emmisions BS I can, If that doesn't get me where I need to be then my options are 1). drop in a Cummins or 2). Ditch Ford after 20+ years and buy a slightly older Pre EPA Dodge. When I wear out this current set of BFG Rugged Trail tires in prolly about 6 - 8 months I will be making a decision.

I have owned 6 Ford trucks, Last 3 were diesel duallies.... 7.3 IDI. 7.3 PSD and 6.0 PSD respectivly. Each newer truck has gotten a few MPG worse than the last one low 20's, 18 and now 15 mpg empty. I find it interesting that was the same case with my 2 F-150 4x4s. You can place a safe bet I won't be buying a 6.4 after talking to several owners in the RV transport business in similarly equipped F350 trucks that are barely squeezing 10 - 11 mpg empty.... They were all pretty pissed to say the least.

I personally expect a minimum of 18 - 20 MPG running empty at 62 mph and a minimum of 10 - 11 loaded.

Getting 15 mpg empty is costing me at least $300 - $400 a month in profit and sticking my money in greedy BIG OIL's pockets.

Yes a truck may be bought to do a job....... but it has to be able to do it both reliably AND economicly to be profitable, lose one of these and profits go out the window... Take a look at the RV transport industry, Ford is the last truck of choice with fuel being the single biggest expense in trucking and many long time Ford owners are switching, Dodge is King here and GM is gaining ground.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
F350DRW1

I understand the RPM vs MPG but did not know the sweet zone for the 6.0. So the 1700+/- is the area for best MPG?

From what I've experienced, as long as I keep below 2k it helps alot. Lately I've been leaving for work a little early and keeping it at 55 on cruise. Big difference. Can't wait for it to warm up a little and ride the motorcycle.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've experienced, as long as I keep below 2k it helps alot. Big difference.

Me Too.

For about the last 2 years I've slowed down to 60/62 MPH, empty or towing the 5r. Enjoying the View. Running a touch faster, but with the "Big Trucks".

I've never been one to be concerned about MPGs unless it was a drop from the norm, from top off to top off. Goezinta math would tell me I get 16-18 empty..10-12 towing.

By Locking on to 60/62 MPH, I think there's a bit of an increase, maybe 1 or 2 MPGs but never the less.... an increase.

As others have said: It's All About.. The Control, Use and Handling, of our Right Foot.... Supplemented by our Cruise Control settings ;):)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've experienced, as long as I keep below 2k it helps alot. Lately I've been leaving for work a little early and keeping it at 55 on cruise. Big difference. Can't wait for it to warm up a little and ride the motorcycle.

i agree ! 1800rpm is where ive seen my BEST mpg...
2000 rpm isnt to bad but anything above 2200 and i might
as well just toss dollar bills out the window.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14