Royal Purple in the Diffs

6LMonster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions as I am getting ready to service the diffs on my 1996 F-250:

1. What temperature does the rear-end normally run at? (empty I was at 144*F and towing, for an hour (5,000 lbs), I was at 172*F)

2. How long do you let the RTV set before you refill the diff?

3. Do I need to flush the diff with anything or just drain and refill?

4. Plan on using the Royal Purple 80W90 in both the front and rear diffs, how effective is the '08 diff cover?!?! Worth the money (see temps above)?

Thanks guys!!!

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
1. I have no idea about running temps.

2. The RTV you use should say how long to wait on it but i just put it on the diff cover and bolted it up. (After cleaning all the surfaces of course.)

3. Most of the fluid will come out when you take the covers off. Just wipe out the left over stuff with a clean rag.

4. I used the 140 stuff in the rear and the 90 in the front. That is what the owners manual said for my truck. Again I have no ideas about the temps but the aluminum cover is thick and has fins so it will help with the temps some and it looks good too. I would buy it again. You can get them for 70-90 bucks depending on where you order it from. I went with diesel manor.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How offten should you change out the gear oil?

the factory filled my 04 rear w/ synth. and said it was good
for LIFE...i dont trust 'em...so i drained mine at 50k and installed
a new fin'd cover.

less than 90 bucks to drain fill & install the 2008 cover...
so i KNOW i got all the old shavings outta there...cheap insurance !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58