Running like its cold but I know its not?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I don't think it's the EPBV because I unplugged the 2-wire plug with the wire hoop connector at the base of the turbo.

not going to do a thing if its stuck closed.

Also, before I unplugged it and gave it gas I heard the wooshing sound that I believe is the valve opening.

sounds like that when its closed especially stuck fully closed.

I also don't believe the problem is the TPS because while parked the throttle responds when I push the pedal. Finally, I don't think the fuel line is clogged because after dumping the bowl it refills just fine. I'm parked on a bit of a grade and after warming the motor up for over 30 mintues I put it in reverse and floor it, all that happens is the rpms stay around 1K and the truck doesn't move. Any other ideas?
Thanks guys!

all things that point to the ebpv being stuck.

its a easy test. here is the how to gut it Gutting the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ, but its a look on how it works and you can then tell if its in the closed or open position from there. If this truck was working fine before you put this chip in (the same chip that made your buddys truck dead) I vote you messed up something electronic and you then deffinitly need to plug it in to a autoentegrety (sp)

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Unplug the wire connector that goes to the turbo pedestal and see if you still hear the whooshing sound.

With the wire unplugged, the EBPV should default to the open position and stay there no matter what. If you're still hearing the "whoosh" with the wire disconnected, that may indicate the EBPV is stuck closed.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After unplugging the connector I didn't hear the "woosh" sound. I tried but couldn't for the life of me get the downpipe off to look at the valve, finally found the actuator arm and was able to move it; does being able to move the arm mean the valve isn't stuck?
Thanks!

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
After unplugging the connector I didn't hear the "woosh" sound. I tried but couldn't for the life of me get the downpipe off to look at the valve, finally found the actuator arm and was able to move it; does being able to move the arm mean the valve isn't stuck?
Thanks!

The valve is open now. Most likely it's not stuck.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Thanks!

Leave it unplugged and see if it runs any better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14