smoked tail lights on white truck??

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see it with all the new lights and lenses. I have the Euro head lights and not real crazy on how well the focus the lights. They are bright enough, just more of a scattered pattern. I drive a lot at night and driving on country roads I need the high beams most of the time.

I had a pair of those projector type thingys. Looked nice but Never did like the pattern.. too Focused.

Got some Crystal Clears from stylintrucks.com Fixed That in a "New York Minute"..... They light up the night.

;tu ;tu

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
smoke_tail_lights_1.jpg

smoke_tail_lights_2.jpg

smoke_tail_lights_3.jpg

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Ok,

A few things about the smoked lights.

1)You will need new bulbs, You can either get RED 3157 but they will fade after a while.
What I did was get some killer LED 3157's and installed those.

They are NOT cheap and run around $25 EACH but they are some of the brightest on the market and light up BETTER than the regular blubs.

Also, you will need to install LED Load Equlizers on each one, they run about $7 each. If you do NOT install them, the Torque Convertor will NOT lock up and the brake lights will not WORK at all when you have your headlights on, (The truck is smart sometimes)

I need to get some pics of them on.

So, total of bulbs would run around $75 or so ;)

But you will have the SAFEST AND BRIGHTEST Red Brake lights with a smoked housing on the market :)

Untill they make COMPLETE LED Brake Lights, this is the way to go ;)

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
How are the smoked ones for visibility? I had some clear taillights with red bulbs and was always afraid I was going to get rear-ended. I put the stock lights back in after about a year. I would think the smoked ones would be even worse?

Crumm,

I am guessing you used regular Red 3157 Bulbs and not LED bulbs ;)

These smoked housings with the LED bulbs are BRIGHTER than the stock confiruation with clear bulbs and Red Housing.

I tested it before with one left stock and one upgraded, it was AMAZING the difference :D

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok,

A few things about the smoked lights.

1)You will need new bulbs, You can either get RED 3157 but they will fade after a while.
What I did was get some killer LED 3157's and installed those.

They are NOT cheap and run around $25 EACH but they are some of the brightest on the market and light up BETTER than the regular blubs.

Also, you will need to install LED Load Equlizers on each one, they run about $7 each. If you do NOT install them, the Torque Convertor will NOT lock up and the brake lights will not WORK at all when you have your headlights on, (The truck is smart sometimes)

I need to get some pics of them on.

So, total of bulbs would run around $75 or so ;)

But you will have the SAFEST AND BRIGHTEST Red Brake lights with a smoked housing on the market :)

Untill they make COMPLETE LED Brake Lights, this is the way to go ;)

I'm thinking this might have to do with the Brand & Style of light assembly you decide on Mike.

On my 2K, all I had to do was change out the >Thermal< type Sig. Flasher, to a >Electronic< one... to convert to LED Sig/Stop lights. I'm a 6 speed guy.. so I cant speak to the T/C lock up issue though.

Mine have a Red light fixture/lens, behind the Smoked cover lens.. so I went with a Red, 3 watt, Luxeon LED. Amber in the front Clear Corners.

Again, Brand & Style is an issue ??

:dunno

Joe

On Edit: If the LED is not for you.. a 3357 is brighter than the standard 3157 OEM bulb.

Last edited:

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I'm thinking this might have to do with the Brand & Style of light assembly you decide on Mike.

On my 2K, all I had to do was change out the >Thermal< type Sig. Flasher, to a >Electronic< one... to convert to LED Sig/Stop lights. I'm a 6 speed guy.. so I cant speak to the T/C lock up issue though.

Mine have a Red light fixture/lens, behind the Smoked cover lens.. so I went with a Red, 3 watt, Luxeon LED. Amber in the front Clear Corners.

Again, Brand & Style is an issue ??

:dunno

Joe

Nope, Flasher doesn't matter on the OBS trucks ;) You will have to have Load Equ's on them to work right.

The ones he posted do NOT have any type of red reflector in them.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick'n my 2K nose in where it don't belong. MY BUST.:hail

Hope I didnt mislead anyone's Wallet.:dunno

I WILL watch that in the future.. I promise:)

:sorry

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14