so according to ford it is normal for this engine to make its own oil?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i read on another site that this engine is supposed to take 13 quarts of oil not 15 and that the oil capacity in the manual is a typo.any truth to that?

dealer also told him that it is normal for it to be over full up to 20 quarts??

JRJ04

Reaction score
i read on another site that this engine is supposed to take 13 quarts of oil not 15 and that the oil capacity in the manual is a typo.any truth to that?

dealer also told him that it is normal for it to be over full up to 20 quarts??

my manual says 13 qts...

havent heard anything about a typo...and that dealer is full of the brown stuff. id tell your buddy to get as far away as possible...

JRJ04

Reaction score
so an update...

i decided to go and check mine...it was fine when i got it. i'll be darned if its not reading above the top of the dipstick gauge now...maybe im getting an inaccurate reading...but i checked it like 4 different times over a 30 min period. the back of the dipstick showed it to be over full yet the front showed it to be right at the top of the full range...

makes me wonder if this might be why im seeing my hand calculated mileage different than what the lie o-meter-says. maybe its using an extra gallon of fuel or two?

bushman134

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When these trucks go into regen diesel fuel is pumped into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke. with the rings relaxed some of it goes into the oil pan. Also it is using a lot of fuel to get the egts high enough to clean out the dpf. with the dpf and cat on mileage sucks

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why i tuned my truck also, the horsepower increase is nice and the couple extra mpg are a added bonus but everything i read about the regen process scared me. Just can't see how it is good for the life of the truck.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thats why i tuned my truck also, the horsepower increase is nice and the couple extra mpg are a added bonus but everything i read about the regen process scared me. Just can't see how it is good for the life of the truck.

arent we using def instead of raw fuel? I've got an '11 keep in mind...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58