some 6.0 questions

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey, I posted this over at OB also but thought I may get a better response here.

I don't know much about the 6.0's but I have an opportunity to purchsae an '06 dually crew cab with 73,000 on the ticker. It's one of my dealers I haul for & he's offering it to me for 22,500.00 I haven't driven it but I did look it over briefly today. It's got a check engine light on , which he will have to take care of but my questions are:

1. it ran a bit rough as soon as it cranked over then smoothed out after about 10 seconds. What would cause that? It hasn't been sitting long because a buddy of mine hauled it in for me this past friday.

2. The bottom of the turbo mount is wet with oil residue & there looks to be some residue in the valley. Is this normal for the 6.0, more specifically a 73,000 mile 6.0?

3. It has an intake and exhaust already on it plus there's a knob mounted poorly in the dash which doesn't appear to do anything. It's loose so when I turned it, it just spins because I can't grab the base of the knob. No clicks is what I'm getting at. Could be a 4 or 6 position chip knob or it could be part of the DVD system for the rear passengers. Where would I look for the chip or absense of one( is the ECM in the same place as my 7.3) ? If there was a chip & it was removed, would that kick off the check engine light if it was tapped into something else? If it had an edge module or something like that, where would I look under the hood for the signs that it might have been there?

4. Does 22,500.00 sound like a good price? I've checked Kelley Blue Book & ebay & autotrader & it seems to be a good price. It's 500.oo over what he bought it for at the auction. KBB says private party is about 27,000 in my area. What are you guys seeing in your areas?

I can look touch & feel this truck because it's local but I don't know enough about the 6.0 to know if I'm walking into another problem child like the '03 has been. Any input is greatly appreciated. Here's a picture....maybe.

atk

Reaction score
1-may need glow plugs, what is the outside temps there?(mine runs somewhat rough for 10-15 seconds at cold start up, stock or with a tune loaded....everything else is fine with the truck)(may also just need to be reflashed)
2-you will always get some residue around the I/C boots unless you have the CCV kit.
3-best bet would be, check for the codes. sometimes when you have a programmer it will set a code, but not always a CEL....probaly from the sounds of it, it did have a programmer/chip of some sorts....
4-price seems to be alright. around here they are still going for around 35000Cdn for the same truck.....

hope this all helps....ALSO, get an OASIS REPORT from the dealership. it will tell you what has been done under warranty at Ford....

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the local ford dealer run an oasis report. It is also still under warranty so the oil leak should be no problem getting fixed.

Fine69

Reaction score
Is this dealer a Ford dealer? Or just a used car dealer? If it's a Ford dealer, ask them to run an Oasis report, and get in writing that they won't deny warranty repairs because of the aftermarket exhaust or intake. Some dealers like to try to scare you by telling you aftermarket parts void warrantees. I know most dealers around here are OK with exhausts, but most don't like intakes. Let us know what you decide, looks like a nice truck from the pics.

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is this dealer a Ford dealer? Or just a used car dealer? If it's a Ford dealer, ask them to run an Oasis report, and get in writing that they won't deny warranty repairs because of the aftermarket exhaust or intake. Some dealers like to try to scare you by telling you aftermarket parts void warrantees. I know most dealers around here are OK with exhausts, but most don't like intakes. Let us know what you decide, looks like a nice truck from the pics.

Na, it's a used car dealer but he deals in higher end stuff, no junk. However there is a ford dealership right down the street.

have the local ford dealer run an oasis report. It is also still under warranty so the oil leak should be no problem getting fixed.

Can I just give them the VIN for the Oasis or do they need to see the truck. I got into a pissing match with this dealership while rebuilding the 7.3 & would rather just call this in. The pissing match got ugly.

1-may need glow plugs, what is the outside temps there?(mine runs somewhat rough for 10-15 seconds at cold start up, stock or with a tune loaded....everything else is fine with the truck)(may also just need to be reflashed)
2-you will always get some residue around the I/C boots unless you have the CCV kit.
3-best bet would be, check for the codes. sometimes when you have a programmer it will set a code, but not always a CEL....probaly from the sounds of it, it did have a programmer/chip of some sorts....
4-price seems to be alright. around here they are still going for around 35000Cdn for the same truck.....

hope this all helps....ALSO, get an OASIS REPORT from the dealership. it will tell you what has been done under warranty at Ford....
Glow plugs at 73,000? Is that uncommon? Forgive me but what is CEL, CCV Kit.

I like the truck but it may sit up too high to pull the RV. It's at least a 4" lift if not bigger. Gotta get it on flat ground side by side with my truck & measure. I got an inch to play with or it won't work without lowering it down a bit.

atk

Reaction score
CEL-check engine light
CCV-crankcase ventalation kit(what this does is, eliminates venting the crankcase into I/C(intercooler system) which tends to build up with oil residue and seep out past the I/C boots

as for the running rough for a few seconds, it may just need the current reflash, not saying the glow plugs aren`t getting weak....i did notice on my truck this winter so far, that it doesn`t start as good as last winter. i have the current reflash of PCM, so i am leaning towards the glow plugs(getting weak). my truck does have 100000 miles, so it may be time. without actually testing them, i am just speculating....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs are like light bulbs, they are good or bad and NO in between. They don't get weak.
Sorry...

Dave

atk

Reaction score
Glow plugs are like light bulbs, they are good or bad and NO in between. They don't get weak.
Sorry...

Dave

so you are saying, when the resistance is not within spec, the glow plug is completely bad?....yes i have seen glow plugs completely burn`t out and also have seen some that won`t heat up completly(resistance not in spec)....JMO....:)

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CEL-check engine light
CCV-crankcase ventalation kit

Man do I feel like an ass. In should have thought about them a little longer I guess.

Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming if you think of anything else. One question though. What kinds of problems does chipping a 6.0 cause?

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chipping a 6.0 can cause head gasket problems or egr problems. i had a 6.0 with a mild custom sct tune with stock head gaskets and stock head studs and it was fine. it was only about 70hp i think but i was towing a very light trailer and mainly wanted it for the economy. i picked up about 1mpg. if you get a programmer or chip i would HIGHLY recommend the SCT with custom tunes, as i think most people on here will. It is reasonably priced but i loved it when i had it on my truck. It was a night and day difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58