some 6.0 questions

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That price includes switching over to the leather seats. Anybody know if the plugs are there for the power/heat in the seats & the trip computer. Problem with waiting for the lariat is I have to give him the ok to buy it at the auction. If it turns out to be a terd, he's stuck with it. I can look it over before the auction starts but no way to get an oasis beforehand. Even if I bought the trip computer console, I'm still ahead on the price

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Scott,

So far the information you have given us, says to walk away from dually #1 (black and tan). That many miles on that new a truck with that many problems doesn't bode well for the post warranty ownership.

Dually #2 is a really nice looking truck from what the pictures show. I personally wouldn't go adding a complete lariat interior to that truck even for the price you can get it for. Even just adding the overhead console will require the purchase of a new wiring harness for the cab marker lights which is integrated into the same bundle of wires as the wires needed for the overhead console and the lighted sun visor mirrors (a lariat only option). Additionally, the Lariat heated seats will use a different harness than the one for a truck with only power seats in a XLT. Ford builds so many superdutys they can justify making all the different harness configurations to fit specific options in most trucks inside each trim level.

One example I came across recently, my brother just bought an 06 XLT supercab which did NOT come with the factory fog lights (it was an option for the XLT). He wanted to add the fog lights but just the harness would be somewhere north of $250. If you really, really want the bells and whistles of a lariat, let the green dually go to someone who wants a nice XLT dually and wait for a well optioned lariat. You obviously have some contacts that can give you an inside track that most of us would love to have when it comes to looking for a new ride.

Don't let yourself buy a truck just because it's in front of you right now. Ford outsells Chevy, Dodge, and GMC COMBINED 2 to 1, so there's plenty of trucks out there to choose from, be patient grasshopper, be patient.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a trip computer anyway? They're horribly inaccurate and don't tell me anything I couldn't figure out on my own anyway. For keeping track of distance and direction, you'd be money ahead to buy a navi unit. But that's just me and my 92 Custom(lower than the XL) with no frills speaking.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with all the information you supplied, the second truck sounds like the better deal by far. I would even look into forgetting the Lariat seats and looking on ebay for some King Ranch seats! I was looking into that for my XLT but I would only be able to do the front seats because I have an extended cab.
buy again like ponyexpress said, if you are patient you will find what you want.

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a trip computer anyway? They're horribly inaccurate and don't tell me anything I couldn't figure out on my own anyway. For keeping track of distance and direction, you'd be money ahead to buy a navi unit. But that's just me and my 92 Custom(lower than the XL) with no frills speaking.

I guess I just don't like giving up something I already have is all. I figure my MPG by hand anyway. I do have a nav unit that I swap between the carhauler & my truck so I'm good there. I guess it's really just the seats I'm after. The king ranch seats just aren't my thing. I hear they're comfy but the color just doest do it for me.

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I must admit, it's sometimes fun to watch that MPG display change wildly. In the 98 chrysler i had, it would be no effort at all to see 99 mpg on there.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Scott,
  1. Truck #1 - Say NO! Too many issues. It sounds problematic, and may have been ridden pretty hard.
  2. Truck #2 - I don't think you can go wrong, but you may end up regretting it since it's not equipped to be converted to a Lariat. You will always know, or at least be reminded at upgrade time.
  3. I still say, "Wait for the right truck. It's out there, and you won't have any regrets"
  4. There are a lot of trucks out there to be had at an excellent price!
My :2c

PonyExpress, Excellent post! You said what I was trying to say, but more definitively!

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I let them both go. I've narrowed it down to an ...don't laugh.... 06 F-550 Lariat (I know some may think I'm nuts but it will see time pulling a 4-car trailer for work in the future as well as the fiver in addition to daily driving) with a clean Oasis @ 58,000 miles & loaded with everything I want or an 07 Chevy 3500 classic with clean history & 33.000 on it. Problem with the chevy is the moron who owned it before put stacks in the bed which voided the exhaust warrenty & set up problems down the road should something fail & they can tie to the exhaust. I'm leaning to the Ford. The price is the same for both although I can put the Ford on the road for 25,000 the Chevy would need the exhaust redone & tires above the purchase price.

My wife & I both agree that the chevy is more comfy, but feels small & too tight inside for a family of 4-5 on long RV trips. I love the Allison & the motor feels stronger in stock form than the 6.0 but the 6.0 is pretty good as well. But, I prefer the look of the ford & even though it's a 550, I don't think the ride is as hateful as I expected it to be. It's about as rough as my lifted 250 with some air in the helper bags. An air ride will take care of that. The gearing is a little high but it runs down the highway @ 70mph showing 2300-2500rpm. My neighbors F250 does 2100 so not too bad I guess. I'm not expecting the mileage I was getting out of the 7.3 so it's acceptable.

We'll see. Anybody else have a 550 w/the pickup bed conversion? I have pictures but they are on the wife's camera & she's out with the kiddies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58