some 6.0 questions

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK. If I decide to go through with this, this truck will see duty pulling an 11000 LB fiver & possibly a 4 car trailer for work. Will a mild tuner allow me to pull that kind of weight around without any trouble?

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes easily. When i had my old 6.0 i towed that kinda weight and more easily. I would recommend getting a EGT gauge trans gauge and a boost gauge though. its always a good idea to have those so you know what is going on inside your engine. When i had mine i got my SCT from Innovative Diesel. You might want to Google them and take a look at what they got. They can make a custom tune for you and its very easy to install on your truck.It wasn't that expensive for it. About $450 if i remember shipped. My truck was fine when i had it. I miss my 6.0 :(

Hopefully soon i will have another :D

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gauges are in my opinion probably the most important modification you can make to any diesel. You need to know what is going if, because if you don't and something goes wrong it can get expensive VERY fast. (My friend found out the hard way with his old 7.3L. The egts climbed way too high and started melting stuff). A good set of gauges will cost you several hundred dollars and is not too hard to install. I would install the egt probe Pre turbo. I think pre turbo is more accurate but i could be wrong. Hope this helps.

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm a firm believer in gauges. It was the first thing I put on the 7.3, hell I order every big truck with as many gauges as I can get. I've just heard so many horror stories about the 6.0's that I'm a little gun shy after my last experience with my current truck. If it's been beat on I gotta pass it by. Should have the Oasis report done tomorrow.

Is there anything in particular I do or don't want to see on that report?

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I did a lot of research and SCT is defiantly the best. The only thing that comes close is stacked chips and that is risky.

give eric at innovative diesel a call... or ted.. either one can hook you up... 1-866-642-7844... they also have the edge insight monitors.. the insight can be monitor many things including egt, boost, and trans... and its compatible with SCT tuners...

apextrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I got the oasis report on it & it's pretty extensive. 4 pages & the truck only has 73,000 on it. Alot of head gasket & oil leak issues. #5 injector has been replaced twice, EGR valve replaced twice. The dealership said they would scan it for evidence of a chip if I wanted. They don't make a habit of calling in ford inspectors to deny claims but if it's really obvious, he said his hands are tied. 70% of their service work is diesel trucks, he said, so they are inclined to "work with the customer". Based on what I stated above, is any of that real bad news?

I also found the one below for MUCH less $$. It's an '05. Actually drove it & it runs very well. Motor is bone dry above & below. No leaks anywhere that I can find. It is bone stock. Oasis shows a few recalls done & 4 injectors replaced plus some misc fittings replaced. It has 90,000 on it. I could have it for 15800.00. Problem is it isn't a lariat. Anybody know if the harnesses for the additional accessories that come in a lariat would be tucked away somewhere in the XLT trucks? The dealer is a friend of mine & will put all leather seating in (factory lariat stuff) which would give me power & heated seats. The only other thing I really wanted is the trip computer console that goes overhead. Anybody know if the plug for that is hidding above the headliner? I really did want all the controls on the steering wheel to but for 15 grand, beggers can't be choosers. Opinions?

Last edited:

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Based on the info presented, I would lean towards the more reliable vehicle, and save a bunch of ca$h! However, if you really want a Lariat, I'd keep looking for the right deal, rather than spending a bunch of money on seats, etc. A little patience usually pays off.

The '05 looks/sounds great, and the $$$ is definitely right~

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58