Spitting coolant all over the engine

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
Got a question for a friend on the road. He's got a 2004 F250 6.0. He sent it into the dealer for about a month. They replaced the turbo, new heads and a few other things. The originl problem was the beast spitting coolant out from the reservior while towing a trailer/camper (@ 8,000 lbs.). Doesn't seem to have a problem running empty. The dealer can't seem to figure it out, all they say is that there are no codes and we can't find anything wrong with it. Also, he has lowered the coolant level by @ 1/2".

Currently he's on the road with the truck spitting coolant again all under the hood & on the battery tray - needless to say, after 4 trips to the dealer - he's pissed and about to buy a Dodge..

Currently it is back to stock, was running the banks PDA, power pack w/intercooler.

Last edited:

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
one would assume` they replaced or cleaned the egr and cooler as well :dunno

correct tq on heads (do require new bolts)and revised gaskets ,
lower coolant level
computer reflash to change EGR on time under certain throttle and power demands , like idling, WOT and welllllll pulling a heavy load.
sounds like he needs to go back and do some confabbing to get her right
dont want to say it but
03 and 04 engines did not do well with certain power enhancements,

CBSuperDuty

Got Looney???
Reaction score
How full is the coolant bottle. Mine will puke untill it gets to a lower level and then be fine.

White Buffalo

TDP Pit crew
Reaction score
CBSuperDuty said:
How full is the coolant bottle. Mine will puke untill it gets to a lower level and then be fine.

He said that Ford reflashed the program and put a lower mark on the reservior bottle. He's been keeping it about 1/2 lower than the mark and still pukes out under the trailer load. How low can you keep the bottle?

He's been toying with the idea of adding another coolant reservior in someplace.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
White Buffalo said:
He said that Ford reflashed the program and put a lower mark on the reservior bottle. He's been keeping it about 1/2 lower than the mark and still pukes out under the trailer load. How low can you keep the bottle?

He's been toying with the idea of adding another coolant reservior in someplace.
I'd replace the cap, keep the coolant level low and keep my fingers crossed. Caps don't last more than a few years. It could be simple.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
I'd replace the cap, keep the coolant level low and keep my fingers crossed. Caps don't last more than a few years. It could be simple.

from what my ford service manager told me, its not the cap, its designed to hold at 16psi, and allow the puking, overflow, ahhhh, all know what i mean.

cuase i asked him about replacing the cap too, he said you can't or shouldn't do that.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it needs to be check to see if theres really anything WRONG w/ it...
could be an over fill issue, or it could be a head gasket issue...

tell 'em to test the coolant for exhaust gases....read THIS article ->
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-05-08.php

you can buy that combustion gas tester from Lisle for
about 29 bucks if dealer doesnt have one...or doesnt know where
he should buy one from ;)

heres the recall/review of the coolant degas bottle / label change.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-02.php

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
White Buffalo said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll pass this on to him. Wow, you guys responded fast.

Thanks!:burnit
some here are supposed to be at WORK not surfing at Work :sly :sly :deal

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58