Still running rough, dealership is CLUELESS!!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I think Bushpilot is right. Try another dealer.

Dave

Actually I already did that. During this one year process, we moved from Mass to New York. Same type of experiences, though. Next I may try another dealer in this area. What I'm really hoping to find is the mechanic that knows what he's doing, even if it is the "backyard" type of shop. I think the issue with the Ford guys is the lack of training, I don't think it's lack of caring, especially at the dealership in Mass because three mechanics and the shop foreman stayed until 10pm on a Friday night with me in the bay trying to fix the truck because I had plans to go camping that weekend. Just think it's lack of training and experience.

I should also point out that it runs fine at idle, but the problem starts when I start to give it some gas, then it starts acting up.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone checked the coolant for exhaust gases ???
wonder if you dont have a blow head gasket and crazy as
this sounds...once it warms up the "slack" in the gasket goes
away enough.

you have any smoke ? color ? when ?

sounds ebp/egr/vgt SELINOID related from the sounds
of your "got boost" but doesnt "go"...

youre getting exhaust (cause w/out that you wouldnt have
spin up / boost......but im thinking youve gotta have
some boost/exhaust blockage that isnt letting the exhaust/boost
passed

when youre under no-"load" or at low rpm you shouldnt really be
building boost (unless the vanes or exhaust is blocked)...

and as proof of the blockage (easy boost spin up @ low rpm)
you cant get moving...

if youre getting fuel (assuming all injectors test fine) then the
only thing left is exhaust-restriction.

has a compression test ever been run on EACH cyl ? that would
show each cylinder is fine or got some kinda issue (be it cracked
piston, blow gasket/leak, or valve issues)

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
bruce-
sounds lots similar to my issues. albiet not as extreme as cold start rough running. bushpilot may be correct in asking for a coolant test. that's what i had done and it was the culprit along w/ an injector test, all were replaced along w. the turbo (updated) and glow plug harness. no issues w/ me now...
as tough as it may be, another dealer may be of interest....

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
bushpilot said:
you have any smoke ? color ? when ?

when youre under no-"load" or at low rpm you shouldnt really be
building boost (unless the vanes or exhaust is blocked)...

BP and Red,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to call a different dealer tomorrow and talk to the service manager, tell him my frustrations with other dealerships and see if he'll make sure I'm taken care of. I'm gone on business next week, so dropping it off this coming Friday will give them time to work on it.

As for the above quote, every once and awhile, and I mean once every great while, I get a hint of white smoke, but it's barely enough for me to notice. And I do need a bit of boost without a load because I live 1.5 miles from work, and it's down a 12% grade; 600 foot elevation change in that short distance. So going home is ALL uphill.

Thanks again for the info. I'm going to ask for a compression test on each cylinder, and check the coolant for exhaust gases. Hopefully I'll have good info from the dealer when I get back in town on Sep 30th. Heck, I'm even thinking of dropping it off Thursday night, then driving to the dealer on Friday morning so me and the service manager can go for a ride in a cold truck.

Bruce

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good luck bruce...sorry im not more help...admittedly im working
thru ideas as im typing the post.

not that you wanna be buying more stuff (as if autoenginuity isnt enough)
remember that Lisle makes a fairly inexpensive combustion leak test/kit
(29 bucks as i recall...and what the hey...thats a drop in the bucket
to us autoenginuity owners ;)

LISLE combustion leak test kit: LINK

heres some reading too, you might wanna share this
w/ your new dealer...from FordDoctor, Detecting Combustion & EGR Leaks

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Latest update:

I brought the truck to a different dealer before I was gone on business for a week. I called and talked to the shop foreman on Monday morning and after a few minutes on the phone, he says that he'll void my warranty because I had an aftermarket air filter on the truck. So I tell the jerk not to touch the truck, and I'll come pick it up when I get back.

So, nothing has happened in the last couple of weeks on the truck. However, it was getting a bit nippy out the other night, so I plugged the truck in last night. When I started it this morning, it ran fine. I took it easy because the truck was still cold, but it ran like a normal cold truck, not like a cold truck running on 6 cylinders. Does this bit of info help any of you figure out what's wrong with my truck? It runs fine after reaching operating temps and it runs fine after being plugged in all night. Is it the oil?? I'm running Amsoil HDD 5W30.

thanks.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TxEx - I'm late to the party but HOPE you haven't been bringing the truck in with your chips/tuners in it !!!

I'd be stunned if your oasis report hasn't been flagged for such and you'd have NO warranty....

in that case, you can take it anywhere, and I'd ask the local big truck drivers where they bring their trucks - they will know a good deezle mechanic !!!!

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
TxEx - I'm late to the party but HOPE you haven't been bringing the truck in with your chips/tuners in it !!!

Of course not! The shop foreman was booked all week long, and had I left my truck there he wouldn't have been able to look at it at all. So my wife went and picked the keys up the same day I talked to him; keys were still in the early bird envelope, so I doubt he did anything with OASIS because he didn't physically look at the truck.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Of course not! The shop foreman was booked all week long, and had I left my truck there he wouldn't have been able to look at it at all. So my wife went and picked the keys up the same day I talked to him; keys were still in the early bird envelope, so I doubt he did anything with OASIS because he didn't physically look at the truck.

man isnt this TYPICAL...they spend more time making excuses of
why they cant do something than theyd spend actually WORKING on
the truck !

and dealerships/service writers wonder why we think the suck !?!

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told that they had to physical prove that the non-ford product caused the failure, not just look at the truck and say hey thats not a ford product it must be making the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58