Stroke vs. Cummins?

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If this is in the wrong section please advice which is right section.

Question for all of you all? I had a 03 7.3 in past, loved the truck. It was stolen, got it back, couldn't afford and sold it. Moving forward I considering going with a common rail cummins because of the torque, but I really like the stroke. I think the 99 to 07 stroke is the best looking diesel. But I love the power I have seen with the cummins.

I have seen the tug of war videos on youtube with 7.3s and 6.0s going against cummins and the ones I have seen have been pretty bad. Not to say all strokes are like that.

So if I go with a 7.3 or 6.0, what kind of mods could I get to hang with a cummins? Chip, intake, turbo back exhaust, and injectors? Just trying to look at the pros and cons here. The cummins is a glorified extended cab, but the motor is great. A lot of people say the dodge truck falls apart the cummins motor is good, so not sure. I have asked some dodge guys that and they say they got bad name with the models before 2000? I know there is pros and cons both ways, maybe it just comes down to preference?

Questions?
What can you do to a 7.3 to stay with a cummins or close?
What can you do to a 6.0 to stay with a cummins or close?

Thanks guys.

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a Cummins in the SuperDuty.Thats my plan as soon as I save some money!

This is true, I forget the name of the site but they have adapters for the conversion. I think the perfect truck might be the powerstroke body, cummins motor, and a allison transmission. For 25 grand anything can be done I guess. But that site has all the parts and adapters I believe to make it happen. Its just money.

Bigglee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A company called "Destroked" makes a lot of the conversion parts.Beans diesel handles alot of conversions which seem to be gaining popularity lately.If you do the conversion yourself,Beans told me,besides aquiring the Cummins (at around 5k),budget in an additional 5k for all of the required conversion parts.They also said a built 4r100 is an excellent trans that could handle the power.For me,my goal is a 600 hp.1200 ft pd tq daily driver that'll last a long time.So eventually,I'll take the Cummins plunge.Til then,I'll just have fun beatin on the 'Stroke!

dpantazis

Reaction score
ok, i am going to ask the obvious question- why do you want to hang with a cummins?

are you talking sled pulling? 1/4 mile times? loud, screeching burnouts to scare little old ladies? are you talking about good reliable power to pull a trailer or a boat for 250k?

the answer all depends on how you answer the question.

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess just to be able to beat a cummins in a race, I drive close to 40k to 50k miles a year. Tow rarely, in the residential construction industry. So I guess it just comes down to the power and win a race to be honest. Just not sure what I want to do. I know I need a crew cab, 8 ft bed and 4 x 4. So the 7.3 would do great, just sad watching youtube videos of a cummins towing a stroke all over the place and the stroke snapping drive shafts. Now I am sure there are some strokes who can pull cummins all over the place as well, but the money they spent to get there is unkown?

I couldn't find the video, but a 4cy cummins in a single cab miltary hummer out pulled a 6.0 F250 stroke 4x4, extended cab in tug of war. The stroke's front drive shaft broke. Now I guess you could say the Hummer has better power distribution, who knows.

Thanks

ok, i am going to ask the obvious question- why do you want to hang with a cummins?

are you talking sled pulling? 1/4 mile times? loud, screeching burnouts to scare little old ladies? are you talking about good reliable power to pull a trailer or a boat for 250k?

the answer all depends on how you answer the question.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
A "tug of war" as you call it between 2 trucks really means zero in terms of which engine is better. You refer to "winning a race" and that would be a whole nother ball game entirely. I really don't understand your logic :dunno

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
How about just grow up and stop trying to beat someone in a race or a tug-o-war

No matter what engine you have, you can tear either one of them up.

I thought at one time I wanted to drag race my truck on the strip, so I started
"testing" on the back roads and ripped the tranny out of my truck. It was an expensive
lesson to learn and it caused me to grow up that day.

Not trying to been mean or ugly, but I just don't know how else to say it.

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
all im going to say is... the videos you see on youtube are posted by "cummins" lovers... I have had no problems keeping up with the everyday cummins... that being said.. yes they have more "bang for your buck" power and can handle more without tearing up the engine.. however if you want a good truck to get the construction job done with no problems then there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 6.0....

I understand you wanting to race and win (im 21 and I would like that too) but has bama said we have to put our thinking cap on and decide whats important... my theory is this.. Im simply sick of hearing how the cummins is soooo much better than the powerstroke (when really its not that big of a difference) and as funds become available I plan on going against the odds rather than jumpin on the cummins bandwagon... until then my powerstroke with be very reliable as most of them are with the proper care...

if your wanting 600hp the easiest and quickest way the go cummins
if your wanting a reliable 300 hp and a SOLID truck then go ford/powerstroke

its all about preferrence...

good luck

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned both a 24 valve Cummins and now a 6.0 Powerstroke I thought I'd chime in. The Cummins has better low in since the turbo spools up sooner than the Ford so it will get off the line a little quicker. But once the Powerstroke's turbo is spooled up it will run away from a Cummins everyday. I haven't had an opportunity to do much towing with my PSD yet but my Cummins moved a 15,000 pound truck/trailer combination down the road at 70 mph with no problem. I'm assuming that the extra horsepower and torque the PSD has over my 01 Cummins will provide a little better performance under a heavy load. Biggest advantage my Cummins had was the 6-speed manual instead of an auto like my PSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14