Surging Sound

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I don't have gauges so I can't tell you what the Boost and EGT readings are. I may actually get them now because of this issue. Anyhow here goes.

Back in October I towed my fifth wheel from So Cal to Boise Idaho. My route was I15 to US395 to US6 to US95. No really steep long climbs. The fifth wheel weighs in at about 12,500lbs and is 12' tall x 8' Wide. During that trip my SES light came on. The engine didn't seem to lose any power, but it would puff a little bit of black smoe under acceleration. Got to my home in Meridian and took my truck over the next day. Meridian Ford flashed my truck and replaced the EBP sensor. No Problems after that.

Well, Memorial Day Weekend we went on a trip to Pasco, WA from Meridian, ID. Going there during one of the climbs just east of Pendleton, OR the SES light came on again. :( Got into Pasco and dropped the fifth wheel, went and filled up the truck and the light went out. Coming home on the grade on I84 east of Pendleton SES light came on again. Same symptoms as before, no real loss of power and a slight puff of smoke. This time the truck is making a surging sound. RPMs don't change, but the engine almost sounds like the boost builds and then drops. If you listen you can actually hear the turbo pitch changing slightly. This happens when maintaining freeway speeds, but even more so at 35 to 40 MPH.

Any ideas folks? EGR? EBP? Turbo? :dunno

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
If the SES light came on then there should be a code logged in the computer. I would start by getting the codes read.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing that Firday. Taking the 350 and my wife's 150 over to Meridian Ford. Just wondering if maybe somebody had an idea. I hate going in blind to the dealership.

jetratt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My previous truck(Gas) would do that when towing up hill when the air filter (K&N) got dirty. The engine light would come on going up the grade one time it stayed on until I cleaned the filter. Don't know if it is the same with these trucks but......

swanee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like the EBP Sensor to me, symptoms sound familiar and that's what mine was. There's an updated version out with a silver colored tip that's supposed to last longer....... :sorry don't have the number though.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swanee said:
Sure sounds like the EBP Sensor to me, symptoms sound familiar and that's what mine was. There's an updated version out with a silver colored tip that's supposed to last longer....... :sorry don't have the number though.

Mine was replaced back in Nov04. :dunno Gonna tick me off if I have to get one every 10,000 miles. -mad

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wish I had gauges. I'm gonna have to spend the money soon I guess.

Anyhow, on listening closer I can hear the turbo spooling up and then dropping off repeatedly. After reading some other things, it sounds like it could be my EBP again. :( It will be at the dealer tomorrow, I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

swanee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Maybe the last time you got the old version....the new one is supposed to be MUCH better. Hope you get it all worked out.

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
tgatch said:
Let me start by saying I don't have gauges so I can't tell you what the Boost and EGT readings are. I may actually get them now because of this issue. Anyhow here goes.

Back in October I towed my fifth wheel from So Cal to Boise Idaho. My route was I15 to US395 to US6 to US95. No really steep long climbs. The fifth wheel weighs in at about 12,500lbs and is 12' tall x 8' Wide. During that trip my SES light came on. The engine didn't seem to lose any power, but it would puff a little bit of black smoe under acceleration. Got to my home in Meridian and took my truck over the next day. Meridian Ford flashed my truck and replaced the EBP sensor. No Problems after that.

Well, Memorial Day Weekend we went on a trip to Pasco, WA from Meridian, ID. Going there during one of the climbs just east of Pendleton, OR the SES light came on again. :( Got into Pasco and dropped the fifth wheel, went and filled up the truck and the light went out. Coming home on the grade on I84 east of Pendleton SES light came on again. Same symptoms as before, no real loss of power and a slight puff of smoke. This time the truck is making a surging sound. RPMs don't change, but the engine almost sounds like the boost builds and then drops. If you listen you can actually hear the turbo pitch changing slightly. This happens when maintaining freeway speeds, but even more so at 35 to 40 MPH.

Any ideas folks? EGR? EBP? Turbo? :dunno

List your truck specifics and any mods please.

Thanks,

Tom

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwazyca said:
List your truck specifics and any mods please.

Thanks,

Tom
Early 2004 (Purchased in Feb of 04) F350 CC XLT LWB 6.0 Torqshift 4x2.

I added a Quadzilla Xzillaraider about 2 months ago and run around at 60hp most of the time. I tow stock though.

This problem had happened before. The truck was completely stock then.

The truck was really bad today. Stumbling sitting at the light, and would periodically belch black smoke. The Quad box has been out for over a week now.

My driving style rarely has the truck over 2100RPMs. Towing the truck would hit 2500 and once in a while 3,000. I don't pull 6% grades @ 70 mph. Generally, I kick off the cruise and run at whatever ~2500RPMs maintains on the long climbs which is between 50 and 55. So I don't really believe that I am abusing the truck, even with the Quad box in place.

No coolant issues and the truck pulls good and solid under acceleration. The surging/turbo spooling up and down noise comes when I am running at cruising RPMs, but is more pronounced at slower speeds like 35 mph.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58