Surging Sound

Owen

That's my first name.....
Reaction score
tgatch, I also had similar driving habits of rarely bringing the rpm over 2100. After my truck was in the shop for the 4th time for surging/stalling, the tech told me to stop that!! Drive it like you just stole it because with the EGR issues with the 6L, you end up constantly recirculating spent exhaust back through the whole system, thus causing bad carbon buildup throughout the air management system when keeping the rpms at 2000 or less. These trucks are meant to work and they need it. They fixed my stalling/surging with a new EGR value (the fourth one) and new throttle body.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owen said:
tgatch, I also had similar driving habits of rarely bringing the rpm over 2100. After my truck was in the shop for the 4th time for surging/stalling, the tech told me to stop that!! Drive it like you just stole it because with the EGR issues with the 6L, you end up constantly recirculating spent exhaust back through the whole system, thus causing bad carbon buildup throughout the air management system when keeping the rpms at 2000 or less. These trucks are meant to work and they need it. They fixed my stalling/surging with a new EGR value (the fourth one) and new throttle body.

Thanks for the note.

Just talked to the dealer. He said it was a sensor in the turbo? Didn't say which one. Didn't say it was the EBP. They will have it ready in about an hour from now. So will see.

Had them do the trans and repack the front bearings as a service precaution. Told the guy to only lube the chasis, but they screwed up and did an oil change. Service writer told me the oil change and filter would be free. They offered to change the fuel filter... Ready for this price $155 :eek: I said no thanks. I can get it at Napa with my 15% AAA discount for about $40 and put it in myself.

Anyhow, we will see how the truck is. Hope it is right for now. :)

On edit: You know Owen, the only time I ever see a problem is when I start towing and hit a decent grade and the RPMs run up around 2500 for any amount of time. :confused:

Last edited:

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answer was a bad VGT sensor. Truck runs good now. Let's see I had them to a trans service tire rotation, oil change, and front wheel bearings repack. Total was $379.90. Ouch. VGT sensor was under warranty.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the plus is my SES light is out. The minus is, it still has the turbo spooling up and down at 35 mph. :( Dunno, the dealership ordered the new part under the recall even though I don't need it. When it comes in I guess I will tell them that I still have the turbo spooling up and down issue.

Owen

Reaction score
tgatch, they replaced my VGT sensor on the second to last trip to the dealer, but it was still surging afterwards. I think the combination of the VGT, EGR and the throttle body was really what helped me out. Oldly enough though, I never had a SES light come on.....??? You're right on the fuel filter change, $155 bones is a bit much as I too buy then for about $50 and put them in myself. I orginally thought that was my problem to the stalling/surging. Have fun taking a diesel bath when you get the frame mounted fuel filter underneth!!!!

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owen said:
... Have fun taking a diesel bath when you get the frame mounted fuel filter underneth!!!!

After reading some stuff on the net I think I have figured out how not to bathe in diesel. :) I replaced the first one at 15K and got a little on me, but I am gonna have to try the new technique I read about. I'll let you know how it goes.

The truck didn't make the turbo noise when the EBP went bad last time. I can't say for sure, but I am about 90% sure that it didn't. Being that I drive it light when not towing, could be that dang EGR. -mad

Owen

Reaction score
Have them take a look at the EGR next time you go in, but don't let them tell you that they will just clean it. Have them replace it if it's faulting from too much build-up. All the ones they replaced on mine where all failing open, thus robbing me of power when I tow. This little pesky EGR drives me nuts.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... My truck still has the turbo spooling up and down noise. The check engine light came on again today. :( So back it goes to the dealership this coming Friday. I hope this doesn't become a recurring problem. If it does, I can almost get QuadCab 6Speed 3500 with a Cummins for the value of my truck. :( I honestly hope it doesn't come to that as Fords have always treated me right over the years, so I'll keep the hope that this can be solved quickly.

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is at the dealer... I'm waiting to hear something. I do know that the ordered the new Harness for my truck and are putting it on even though the tech said it was ok.

I'll let you all know what the verdict is this time around. I really hope they can get it fixed.

Tom

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Her am the latest.

Truck is still at the dealer. They should have it to me on Monday. They ordered a new EGR and a New EBP. I really hope this fixes it as I do love the truck.

Tom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58