The water is a-rising in grand forks...

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics from grand forks: rising water and the foot of snow we got this week. The only bridge that is still open is the us hwy 2 Kennedy bridge. They are building earthen dikes today to keep it open for another couple of days. I will keep posting pics as the water comes up. Keep in mind there was no snow on the ground 3 days ago.

picture.php

Sorlie bridge, closed monday
picture.php

us hwy 2 Kennedy bridge
picture.php

East grand forks greenway/campground/state park-can't really tell but this is all water, frozen over and covered with snow
picture.php

us hwy 2 kennedy bridge
picture.php

I don't think the dakota is going to get out of that snowbank!
picture.php

My poor probe!!!

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
In Grand Forks on 32 ave s. (east of S. Washington), across from the junior highschool there is an apartment building. Any idea how close the water is getting to there? We lived there for a few years ending in '86.

Last edited:

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, so far the dikes are holding, they were built in 98 and 99 and should be good to 58' ('97 was 54.4') but in 97, washington was pretty much the border between flooded and not, so I imagine that building would have had 1st floor/ basement level flooding. pretty much all the homes east of belmont were bought out, and now the big earthen dike is there. there is one fairway of lincoln park golf course on the west side of the dike, otherwise the whole golf course is on the wet side of the dike now. Shroeder middle school had like 4 feet of water in '97 I think...

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Shroeder middle school had like 4 feet of water in '97 I think...

Geez........ Then our old apartment would have been up to the ceiling.

We were last there to visit in 'bout 2000 or 01. Our former babysitter's daughter got married.

We drove out to the base to see what all had changed. The BUFF (B-52)sitting outside the main gate is one I flew several times while stationed there. I walked around it reminiscing, tears running down my cheeks. I miss those days something horrible. :(

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Geez........ Then our old apartment would have been up to the ceiling.

We were last there to visit in 'bout 2000 or 01. Our former babysitter's daughter got married.

We drove out to the base to see what all had changed. The BUFF (B-52)sitting outside the main gate is one I flew several times while stationed there. I walked around it reminiscing, tears running down my cheeks. I miss those days something horrible. :(

Kent, in case I've never said it to you :sweet thanks for your service to our country :notworthy

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
sounds like gfafb is going to lose it's kc135's in the near future too, and all that will be out here are the predator aircraft. Final Tanker Flies Out Of GFAFB Monday - Fargo- msnbc.com

Hi-jack: On

Most folks with any military experience or those that know how the military functions, agree that keeping a base the size of GFAFB open for the sake of a few oversized R/C airplanes makes no sense.

It is widely suspected that GFAFB will soon pick up a new mission with a new aircraft. This could be the new air refueling tanker that will replace the KC-135. The same one that is being fought over between AirBus and Boeing.

It could also be a widely rumored & speculated spy plane often refered to as the Aurora. The Aurora has been the subject of many magazine articles and tv shows. There is also a lot of evidence that something is flying around, but the public just isn't sure what it could be. Both the F-117 and the B-2 were rumored but denied for several years before being publicly disclosed.

FWIW: I've been retired too long to know any information of a special nature. I just watch a lot of History & Military channels on tv.
View attachment 9712

Hi-jack: Off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg