The water is a-rising in grand forks...

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TG, I hope you are right... the closure and realignment commision has been after the base for a long time. It would be a huge loss to the grand forks economy to lose the base. Maybe a joint venture for some new equipment between here and fargo? They lost their fighters last year, maybe would make sense for the 2 to get cooperative roles of the same new mission?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
TG, I hope you are right... the closure and realignment commision has been after the base for a long time. It would be a huge loss to the grand forks economy to lose the base. Maybe a joint venture for some new equipment between here and fargo? They lost their fighters last year, maybe would make sense for the 2 to get cooperative roles of the same new mission?

Oh & BTW, if you look at just about any of the available satellite imagery (Google Earth, Live Search Maps, etc), evidently the runway at GFAFB either currently is, or recently underwent extreme repair/replacement. Why would they do that for a base they were getting ready to close? Additionally, a R/C aircraft like a Predator doesn't need a runway that is 12,000' long and 200' to 300' wide. Hummm.....

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
cool news gentlemen....as the wife and i went to UND and my grandparents were from devils lake...as we went by the AB many times and saw many planes on the ground and in the skies while driving....that was back in the 70's/80's and then again in the early 90's when i went to college...we also saw the blue angels there once...

hi jack off!!!!!!!!!!!

as for the main thread here.....

the flooding - cool looking photos on the news - sad on the devestation thou.... i have a cousin in fargo but he is on the o.k. side supposedly

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Oh & BTW, if you look at just about any of the available satellite imagery (Google Earth, Live Search Maps, etc), evidently the runway at GFAFB either currently is, or recently underwent extreme repair/replacement. Why would they do that for a base they were getting ready to close? Additionally, a R/C aircraft like a Predator doesn't need a runway that is 12,000' long and 200' to 300' wide. Hummm.....

and they do a ****ty job of mowing, too..
scalp marks everywhere...
Dad would have a hemhorroid if he saw that...

Last edited:

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
Um, first of all I didd'nt think that I would ever see a thread of grand forks on here wow! this diesel community is closer then I thought! As posted the Kennedy is the only bridge that is open over here. I used to use the louis A murray bridge to get to work and now I have to go over the mallory bridge. The water is gettin pretty high over here. I'm hopin that we dont get wet again though. And I hope Fargo makes it out of it ok. Sorry guys I don't have any pics. They were arresting people that were even close to the dikes and walls

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You figure they maybe lying to us???

Dave :dunno

I think it's more like they're keeping their options open.:innocent

FWIW ? The reason(s) the DOD/Feds do major construction or repair to a facility that Is, or possibly Will be, or ends up being... on the Chopping Block (BRAC list) is:

The planning and funds for construction/repair is often approved [years in advance] of the work. The bidding and contracting process is very long and complicated. Once the contract has been let, the winning contractor spends BIG, Big bucks in preparation for the work on equipment, supplies, materials and the like, and starts the project.

In the case of a facility that is to be closed ? After or During the work ? It is very often more Cost Effective* to let the contractor finish the work.. than it would be to go through the Law Suits that would (will) surely follow... for his Time and Money spent in preparation and execution. Plus, stopping the work would leave the facility basically worthless for any future use(s). (More suits, by the State, County and local Communnitys)

Very simply put guys.

Joe

* there have been cases where a Contractor, after litigation, ended up with more money.... than the origonal project contract was worth (?)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14